Getting Data In

Why isn't Splunk ingesting new rows from CSV file?

Path Finder

I have a 4-server Splunk scenario:

1. index server
  2. deployment server
  3. search head server
  4. deployment client server (w/ a Splunk Universal Forwarder known to be configured correctly and working, i.e., it forwards to the index server ok)

On the index server, I placed the following 200-row csv file and successfully ingested it into the index foo_index using oneshot:

"DateTime","foo"
"10/1/2019 12:03:20 AM","cat"
.. 198 more similar rows
"10/1/2019 11:55:20 PM","dog"

After verifying that the 200 events were ingested, I edited the csv file and added 200 more rows:

"DateTime","foo"
"10/1/2019 12:03:20 AM","cat"
.. 198 more similar rows
"10/1/2019 11:55:20 PM","dog"
"10/2/2019 12:01:20 AM","mouse"
.. 198 more similar rows
"10/2/2019 11:59:59 PM","mouse"

Then, on the deployment server, I created a remote folder monitor and deployed it to the deployment client server which created \etc\apps\xxx\local\inputs.conf on the deployment client server:

[monitor://D:\foo]
disabled = false
index = foo_index
sourcetype = csv
crcSALT = <SOURCE>

Then, I copied the CSV file to D:\foo on the deployment client server (D:\foo was empty prior to my dropping the CSV file into it)

The new 200 rows were not ingested.

Why not?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Path Finder

Ignore this question. As it turns out, Splunk did ingest the data. It just took many more hours (2 days, actually) that I would have expected for a few hundred rows from a csv file

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Path Finder

Ignore this question. As it turns out, Splunk did ingest the data. It just took many more hours (2 days, actually) that I would have expected for a few hundred rows from a csv file

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Esteemed Legend

The problem is DEFINITELY NOT the fishbucket because oneshot bypasses this so any answer with crcSalt is wrong (and couldn't work unless it is camel-cased correctly). Are you sure that it did not get sent? Did you set restartSplunkd? If not, you need to do so and push it out again. Also fix this:

[monitor://D:\foo\*.csv]
0 Karma

Path Finder

Ignore this question. As it turns out, Splunk did ingest the data. It just took many more hours that I would have expected for a few hundred rows from a csv file

0 Karma

Esteemed Legend

OK, come back and either click Accept on this answer or post your own and Accept that one to close your question.

0 Karma

Path Finder

Ignore this question. As it turns out, Soplunk did ingest the data. It just took many more hours that I would have expected for a few hundred rows from a csv file

0 Karma

Builder

when you are setup an input, you have to full path to read the file.
if the csv file name is sample.csv your input should be like this:
[monitor://D:\foo\sample.csv] OR
disabled = false
index = foo_index
sourcetype = csv
CRCSALT =

OR
this stanza [monitor://D:\foo*.csv] to index all the csv files

for further information please check this link:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Inputsconf#MONITOR:

0 Karma

Path Finder

My requirement is that I monitor a folder because many csv files can be loaded to the folder, not just one.

The stanza you specified [monitor://D:\foo*.csv] does not seem to be required:

See https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.1/Data/Monitorfilesanddirectories:

"Specify a path to a file or directory
and the monitor processor consumes any
new data written to that file or
directory"

0 Karma

Builder

ok, no problem, I just mistyped this stanza
should be [monitor://D:\foo*.csv], this will take all the new csv files that should be added to this folder.
Thanks for your feedback.

0 Karma

Path Finder

Ignore this question. As it turns out, Splunk did ingest the data. It just took many more hours that I would have expected for a few hundred rows from a csv file

0 Karma

Path Finder

My point is that Splunk docs state that you do not need to specify a file name or filename wildcards to monitor for any file in a folder. All you need is the folder name:

[monitor://D:\SplunkSensorLogs]

0 Karma