Getting Data In

Why is the Universal Forwarder indexing its own logs?

wvalente
Explorer

Guys.

I have many Universal Forwarders installed in the machines that send logs to one Heavy Forwarder.

This Heavy Forwarder sends log to my indexer.

I do not know why each universal forwarder is sending its own internal logs (splunkd, metrics, etc) and indexing this data. I do not want the internal logs from each universal forwarder.

I've tried to filter these logs in the heavy forwarder, but it's not working.

What can I do?

Thanks.

0 Karma

bcyates
Communicator

It is best practice to index _internal logs. Your Distributed Monitoring Console won't fully work without it and you won't really be able to remotely troubleshoot any problems on your UFs.

If you are worried about the amount of data in the index, just adjust frozenTimePeriodinSecs on those indexes so you don't hang on to them for too long

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

You can disable those inputs on the Universal Forwarder.

But usually these internal logs are considered very useful for monitoring the health of those instances and troubleshooting issues with data feeds, so I would highly recommend keeping them enabled actually.

Also: since this is going into _internal index, this is not counting against your license (if that is what you were worried about).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...