Getting Data In

Why is splunk-launch.conf not in system/local?

nick405060
Motivator

Why is splunk-launch.conf not in system/local?

0 Karma
1 Solution

solarboyz1
Builder

Because Splunk-launch.conf hold startup information, that is required to get the Splunk application started to the point it can read the other configuraiton files.

The settings for the SPLUNK_HOME and SPLUNK_DB variables are set in this file. How can it read the files in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps if it doesnt know the value of SPLUNK_HOME?

View solution in original post

solarboyz1
Builder

Because Splunk-launch.conf hold startup information, that is required to get the Splunk application started to the point it can read the other configuraiton files.

The settings for the SPLUNK_HOME and SPLUNK_DB variables are set in this file. How can it read the files in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps if it doesnt know the value of SPLUNK_HOME?

jawaharas
Motivator

Note from splunk-launch.conf didn't help?

# Note: this conf file is different from most splunk conf files.  There is
# only one in the whole system, located at
# $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk-launch.conf; further, there are no stanzas,
# explicit or implicit.  Finally, any splunk-launch.conf files in
# etc/apps/... or etc/users/... will be ignored.
0 Karma

nick405060
Motivator

yeah, but still curious as to why

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

i think that because of the nature of the configurations this file holds, you really dont want any conflict or overwrite due to hierarchy.
even at system/local, it can be overwritten or conflicted by writing same file in an indexer cluster (slave-apps directory) or search head cluster (moves to the default directory when pushing bundle)
any conflicts in this file will cause pain ...
nothing above is supported in any docs (that i could find) just a guess

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...