Getting Data In

Why is one of my universal forwarders not receiving certain pieces of data?

siva_cg
Path Finder

Hi,

I have an issue with receiving data from one of the universal Forwarders in my environment. I have checked the internal logs of the UF and found some messages stating that "Watched File - will begin reading from offset at xxx". But, there was nothing found in the metrics.log and license_usage logs as well. I have checked everything like connectivity, inputs and outputs but nothing found differently.

What could be the issue? Please help me to resolve this. Thanks in advance.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @siva_cg,

Can you please clarify that UF is not reading few of the log files on same server OR UF is reading log file but few of the events from that log file is missing in Splunk ?

If few of the events is missing in Splunk then it is mostly due to extractions issue, please check on your indexers splunkd.log about any line breaking issue, there might be possibility that event contains multiple timestamps and splunk is indexing those events with older or future timestamp.

0 Karma

siva_cg
Path Finder

Hi @harsmarvania57 ,
I am receiving only internal logs from that UF. No other logs are coming to indexers

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you run below command on UF and check whether UF is reading the files which you configured in your monitor stanza ?

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk list inputstatus
0 Karma

siva_cg
Path Finder

Hi @harsmarvania57,

I am not sure what is the issue but once we restart the service manually on the server, we started receiving logs from it. I don't have access to UF cli, so unable to run that. Thank you for the help.

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

Looks like splunk picked up the file, I would do a all time search on the index in case the dates are off in the source file.

index=_internal host=ufhost component=TailingProcessor

look for event_message if you can see your source path in the logs...hope this helps.

0 Karma

siva_cg
Path Finder

Hi @prakash007
Thanks for the inputs. I did searched for all time but no results. I am able to see my log source in the TailingProcessor.

0 Karma

prakash007
Builder

what's the workflow in your case..

UF---->Indexer----->SH

try to look at the uf internal logs if they are talking to the indexers

index=_internal TcpOutputProc

I would login to the indexer and search for the index OR
look under /var/lib/splunk/(your index)/db/*/rawdata if you see any data on the indexer db itself to make sure the data is getting to the indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...