Getting Data In

Why is my HTTP event collector Indexing slowly?

amanno

Fellow Splunksters,

I have been able to send data to Splunk via TCP sockets for a while and never had any issues. I switched some of our apps over to using the HTTP event collector via the Python Splunk API, so for example...

import splunklib.client as splunk_client

service = splunk_client.connect(host='127.0.0.1', port=8089, username=<username>, password=<password>)
index = service.indexes['my_index']

index.submit(message, sourcetype='_json', host='local')

I think it is important to note that data coming into my script running the API is MQTT data, as the data is coming (about 1 event every 2 seconds) Splunk is able to index the data just fine. However, if the data stream is interrupted the events are stored until the connection is re-established and all the events flood to the Splunk server. This is when it takes about 10-15 minutes to index anywhere from 150 to 300 events. I certainly do expect some delay just not 15 minutes.

I'm wondering if anybody else has had this issue with the HTTP Event Collector? Is there a more efficient way of indexing data so this doesn't happen? Is a TCP socket faster than the HEC?

I am currently waiting for our IT department to allocate more resource to our Splunk server (such as RAM and CPU cores), so maybe that will help increase performance?

Thanks!

0 Karma

maciep
Champion

that definitely seems like too long, so not sure if this will help at all but it can't hurt....this is a conf session from 2017 that had some good tuning tips - may be a bit outdated now?

https://conf.splunk.com/files/2017/slides/measuring-hec-performance-for-fun-and-profit.pdf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...