Getting Data In

Why is line breaking not working as expected for my XML data when I edit .conf files directly?

gagi76

Hi everyone,

Can someone please explain why these steps won't work? XML file that I input in Splunk are one event, like this:
alt text

inputs.conf

[monitor://c:/to_the_file]
Sourcetype = aaa

props.conf

[aaa]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]*)

I have tried this from Splunk Web (upload file and configured SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false and
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]*)) and it worked, but when I do it from .conf files, it won't. Any ideas?
And of course, how can I configure date and time to be recognized from Splunk?

Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

props.conf

[aaa]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]*)(?=\<LOG\>)
TIME_PREFIX = DATE\>
TIME_FORMAT = %Y%m%d</DATE><TIME>%H%M%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 27

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

props.conf

[aaa]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]*)(?=\<LOG\>)
TIME_PREFIX = DATE\>
TIME_FORMAT = %Y%m%d</DATE><TIME>%H%M%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 27
0 Karma

gagi76

Thanks for helping,

ok, we broke logs now with those lines, but the date and time are not recognized from splunk. I have read that I should make datetime.xml file a configure it along with props.conf?

0 Karma

gagi76

misspell :
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]*)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Updated Team Landing Page in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to the team landing page in Splunk Observability, based on your feedback. The ...

New! Splunk Observability Search Enhancements for Splunk APM Services/Traces and ...

Regardless of where you are in Splunk Observability, you can search for relevant APM targets including service ...

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...