Getting Data In

Why is indexing volume not matching license usage?

leonards1
Explorer

Following some runaway license violations, I am looking to find the offending host but in running the queries that I have, I am finding that the total "host usage" is far more than the "license usage".

I am using the following to show the usage per host:

index="_internal" source="*metrics.log" group="per_host_thruput" | eval mb = (round(kb,0)/1024) |chart sum(mb) by series | sort - sum(mb)

I am using the following to find the usage against the license:

index=_internal source=*license_usage* type=RolloverSummary  | bucket _time span=1d | eval MB_vol=b/1024/1024 | timechart span=1d sum(MB_vol) by pool

Is this correct? Is this related to this post? -- https://answers.splunk.com/answers/2886/indexing-volume-vs-data-size-received.html?utm_source=typeah...

0 Karma
1 Solution

masonmorales
Influencer

type=RolloverSummary will only show the top 10 indexes. To see the total by host you can do something like:

index="_internal" source=*license_usage.log type=Usage | eval KB=round(b/1024) | eval MB=round(KB/1024,2) | eval GB=round(MB/1024,2) | eval TB=round(GB/1024,2) | stats sum(MB) as Total by h

Or by pool and day:

index=_internal source=*license_usage* type=Usage | bucket _time span=1d | eval MB_vol=b/1024/1024 | stats (MB_vol) by pool _time

View solution in original post

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

type=RolloverSummary will only show the top 10 indexes. To see the total by host you can do something like:

index="_internal" source=*license_usage.log type=Usage | eval KB=round(b/1024) | eval MB=round(KB/1024,2) | eval GB=round(MB/1024,2) | eval TB=round(GB/1024,2) | stats sum(MB) as Total by h

Or by pool and day:

index=_internal source=*license_usage* type=Usage | bucket _time span=1d | eval MB_vol=b/1024/1024 | stats (MB_vol) by pool _time
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...