Getting Data In

Why is Splunk not indexing the file but configuring inputs.conf?

JordanPeterson
Path Finder

So I am trying to monitor a file on the local indexer. I am setting it up through the Web UI to be sure it works. I get the following results in my splunkd.log

05-09-2018 16:05:44.453 -0500 INFO  TailingProcessor - Parsing configuration stanza: monitor:///tmp/TaskStatus.test.log.
05-09-2018 16:05:44.453 -0500 INFO  TailingProcessor - Adding watch on path: /tmp/TaskStatus.test.log.

But nothing actually shows up in the index. I've edited the file so I know it's changing and I was able to preview the file in the web interface and it loaded fine. The actual input itself is not working. Any thoughts on why?

The inputs.conf that gets created:

[monitor:///tmp/TaskStatus.test.log]
disabled = false
index = tasklogs
sourcetype =_json

I made the splunk user the owner and verified it had read/write permissions on the file. If I upload the file for one time indexing it works fine.

I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work.

1 Solution

JordanPeterson
Path Finder

The issue was it was stuck in ingestion queue. I changed how it acted when the file was in use in my inputs and props and it appears to be working now.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

JordanPeterson
Path Finder

The issue was it was stuck in ingestion queue. I changed how it acted when the file was in use in my inputs and props and it appears to be working now.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are many possible reasons:

If timestamping is wrong, the events could be landing in times outside of your expected search window (in the future, for example).
Similar to the above, check MAX_DAYS_HENCE and MAX_DAYS_AGO (and associated logs).
The settings/size of that index may be such that events get expired just after they are indexed.
You might have a firewall running on that indexer blocking outgoing connections to port 9997/9998.

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try splunk show inputstatus on the CLI, as well as splunk list monitor

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...