Getting Data In

Why is HTTP Event Collector listening only on 127.0.0.1 (localhost) address?

rvencu
Path Finder

I enabled the HTTP Event Collector and I can see on my Centos 7 by running the ss -an command that it is listening only on 127.0.0.1 address. As a result the curl is working when calling 127.0.0.1:8088 and connection is refused when calling :8088 from the local ssh terminal

Any idea how to fix this issue?

0 Karma
1 Solution

rvencu
Path Finder

I solved it. My free splunk is deliberately set to be accessible only from localhost because user authentication can be done only through an NGINX reverse proxy. Hence the listening limitation.

I added a second reverse proxy setting for the HTTP Event Collector and all is working fine now.

View solution in original post

rvencu
Path Finder

I solved it. My free splunk is deliberately set to be accessible only from localhost because user authentication can be done only through an NGINX reverse proxy. Hence the listening limitation.

I added a second reverse proxy setting for the HTTP Event Collector and all is working fine now.

Filmhooligan

I think I'm having a similar issue, we have an Apache2 reverse proxy in front of our Splunk instance, what type of setting did you configure to allow the HEC explicitly?

0 Karma

rvencu
Path Finder

[root@splunk ~]# firewall-cmd --list-all
public (default, active)
interfaces: eth0
sources:
services: dhcpv6-client ssh
ports: 443/tcp 80/tcp 2222/tcp 4443/tcp 8886/tcp 8088/tcp
masquerade: no
forward-ports:
icmp-blocks:
rich rules:

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...