Getting Data In

Why doesn't the indexed time change?

spisiakmi
Communicator

Hi, can anybody help, please? I'm using classical forwarder to index regular CSV file. The time/date of the CSV logFile changes always if a new entry comes. Each event has TIME Attribute. If I choose time interval TODAY there have been indexed 100 events. The indexed time _time is always the same (similar to the time of the first event). The time attribute of each event changes of course. Does anybody have an idea, where is the problem? If I restart the forwarder, the problem appears on the next day.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

spisiakmi
Communicator

Hi Giuseppe,

I stopped splunk fw and defined DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT in props.conf. After that I started the service again and I will run it till tomorrow. I will observe if all events become the proper _time. I think, it could help. I cannot combine these 2 time/date variables, because it isn't the real time of the event. I will let you know. Thank you and enjoy the day.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @spisiakmi,

if in your csv file have a column containing a timestamp, you can use it as timestamp for the event.

If you haven't a timestamp, to each event is assigned the timestamp of the indexing moment.

having your events the tIME attribute, you have to teach your sourcetype to use it as timestamp, indicating the column name and the format.

here you can find some help:

https://hurricanelabs.com/splunk-tutorials/ingesting-a-csv-file-into-splunk/

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/working-with-spreadsheets-in-splunk-excel-csv-file...

The easiest approach is to use the manual GUI Add data feature to find the correct sourcetype and then use it.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

spisiakmi
Communicator

Hi Giuseppe,

thank you very much for a help. I have 2 important attributes in the event. Time and Date. How it is possible to define indextime from these 2 attributes?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @spisiakmi,

as I said, follow the guided Add data feature.

If you don't reach to do, you can manually configure TIME_FORMAT parameter.

but for this, I need a sample of your logs.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

spisiakmi
Communicator

Hi Giuseppe,

I stopped splunk fw and defined DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT in props.conf. After that I started the service again and I will run it till tomorrow. I will observe if all events become the proper _time. I think, it could help. I cannot combine these 2 time/date variables, because it isn't the real time of the event. I will let you know. Thank you and enjoy the day.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @spisiakmi,

ok, let me know,

if one answer solves your need, please accept one answer for the other people of Community

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...