Getting Data In

Why does the following search not return a list of my indexes?

asturt
Explorer
| REST /services/data/indexes

The search shown above is supposed to return a list of all my indexes. It doesn't. I have an index that has 54,000+ events for the last fifteen minutes alone, but it is not included in the list coming back from the rest call.

Am I doing something wrong?

0 Karma

JeffBothel
Explorer

The below link is what I have saved for answering this question and seems to work pretty well for me:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/39370/is-it-possibl-to-get-a-list-of-available-indices.html

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

Are you running rest command on your indexer or Search head? If running on search head and index is on indexer , you might not be having the privilege to get data using REST from another server except localhost

asturt
Explorer

Well, that's an excellent question, Vijeta. I thought I was running it against the head, but that might be a false assumption. I'll have to check with our admin to find out.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

It returns list of index that the user running above search has access to. Check the role of user running this search to see if that indexes is accessible to user.

asturt
Explorer

I am the user running the report, and it doesn't show all the indexes I can search.

0 Karma

vinaykata
Path Finder

have you tried the basic searches

index="" OR index="_" | dedup index | table index

0 Karma

asturt
Explorer

Well, that works if I change index="" OR index="_" into index="", but the rest service also provides statistics like totalEventCount. At least, it *should provide those, but all of that information seems to be incorrect.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...