Getting Data In

Why does props.conf for eventline break sometimes and works sometimes?

Rajiv_splunk
Path Finder

HI All,

I am stuck with one issue for a event line breaking. I have an environment in which UF sending logs from HF to IDX. I created props.conf in HF and Indexer both. and it worked. The stanzas i provided in the props.cong is working exactly the way i wanted, but after sometime, some of the events appears in unstructured format again...and after sometime it worked exactly the way i want.

Its kind of a bizarre scenario where when i am testing it works fine just at the time of presenting it to the client it stopped working again...and after few minutes it started working fine again :P.

Can anyone help me in finding the root cause for inconsistent performance of props.conf

Note- The stanzas are fine and its breaking the events the way i want but something is stopping it to work consistently

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Here are some things to check.
1: props.conf is not on all indexers.
2: props.conf is not on HFs (some events go indexer-direct, others go through HF).
3: Some events have different <spec> values that your props.conf stanza header (e.g. if you are using host-based, some events are from a host that you are not expecting).
4: You have timestamp problems such that previous messed up events were thrown into the future and are trickling back to now and inter-mingling with newer correctly-linbroken events.  To check for this, do an All-Time search but use "_index_earliest=-1h _index_latest=now" with your search.

View solution in original post

Rajiv_splunk
Path Finder

@woodcock Thanks for your reply. The issue is fixed. My team has recently created one new HF which i was not aware of(could be because was on leave). So i added my props in that newly added HF and issue is fixed

0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Rajiv_splunk - If the description of your question is accurate then I think the props.conf is not complete, meaning for those events it's not working it has be modified.

Can you please share your props.conf configuration, events that breaks fine, and events that do not break properly?

(You can mask the sensitive information from the events)

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Here are some things to check.
1: props.conf is not on all indexers.
2: props.conf is not on HFs (some events go indexer-direct, others go through HF).
3: Some events have different <spec> values that your props.conf stanza header (e.g. if you are using host-based, some events are from a host that you are not expecting).
4: You have timestamp problems such that previous messed up events were thrown into the future and are trickling back to now and inter-mingling with newer correctly-linbroken events.  To check for this, do an All-Time search but use "_index_earliest=-1h _index_latest=now" with your search.

Rajiv_splunk
Path Finder

HI Thanks for the reply. I checked all the points you mentioned.

props.conf is in all indexer and in all HF

I am using sourcetype based configuration and all the logs are coming from the same sourcetype and same host.

Can you help me with the 4th point you mentioned-  when i am running this query across all time its returning nothing. I am using this query like below

_index_earliest=-1h _index_latest=now sourcetype=mysourcetype.

Is there any other way i can check if earlier messed up events are combining

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

index="YourIndexHere" AND sourcetype="YourSourcetypeHere" _index_earliest=-1h _index_latest=now  earliest=0 latest=+5y

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...