Getting Data In

Why does indexer not index file coming from a Windows based UF correctly?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

Hello,

I don't understand why a file coming from a windows based UF does not get indexed properly.  By this I mean that some fields contain newlines that are interpreted by Splunk as event delimiters thus turning a single event into multiple events.  I can index that same file manually or from a folder input on a unix filesystem without issue.

I am using Splunk Enterprise 8.0.5 with UF 8.0.5 running on Windows 10 VM.  I am trying to index ServiceNow ticket data contained in an ANSI encoded CSV file. Scenarios that work and do not work:

• I upload the CSV manually through the "Add Data" wizard specifying the sourcetype and it works
  • I deposit the CSV in a local folder on the same VM Splunk Enterprise is installed, configured with the same sourcetype, and it works
  • I deposit the CSV in a local folder on the same VM the UF is installed, configured with the same sourcetype, and it does not work

I have no idea why this last scenario does not work.  Here is a simple diagram outlining the second and third scenarios (the third one doesn't work and is highlighted in red):

Untitled.png

Here is the file I am trying to index (contains one ticket):

"company","opened_by","number","state","opened_at","short_description","cmdb_ci","description","subcategory","hold_reason","assignment_group","resolved_at","resolved_by","category","u_category","assigned_to","closed_by","priority","sys_updated_by","sys_updated_on","active","business_service","child_incidents","close_notes","close_code","contact_type","sys_created_by","sys_created_on","escalation","incident_state","impact","parent","parent_incident","problem_id","reassignment_count","reopen_count","severity","sys_class_name","urgency","u_steps","closed_at","sys_tags","reopened_by","u_process","u_reference_area","calendar_duration","business_duration"
"XXX4-S.A.U.R.O.N","Jane Doe","INC000001","Closed","2021-06-01 08:34:04","Short description","SYS","Dear All,

For some reason this data doesn't get indexed incorrectly.

There are two LF characters between this line and the previous one:
THIS ON THE OTHER HAND HAS A SINGLE LF ABOVE

Manual upload works, but input from windows does not...

Thank you for your help and assitance.
Jack","ERP","","ABC-123-ERB-SWD-AB-XXX","2021-06-10 10:19:14","Jack Frost","SOFTWARE","Query","Raja xxxxxx","Jack Frost","3 - Moderate","XXXXXX@DIDI.IT","2021-06-15 23:00:02","false","AWD Services","0","closure confirmed by XXXXX@fox.COM
","Solved (Permanently)","Self-service","XXXXX@fox.COM","2021-06-01 08:34:04","Normal","Closed","3 - Low","","","","1","0","3 - Low","Incident","1 - High","0","2021-06-15 11:00:11","","","DATA","DATA","783910","201600"

here is the props.conf stanza which has been positioned exclusively on the indexer:

[snow_tickets]
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n])+
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
MAX_EVENTS = 20000
TRUNCATE = 20000
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
TZ = Europe/Rome
category = Structured
pulldown_type = 1
disabled = false
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = csv
KV_MODE = 
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = sys_updated_on
CHARSET = MS-ANSI
BREAK_ONLY_BEFORE_DATE = 

here is a screenshot of the data coming from the local folder (works):

works.png

here is what it looks like when it comes from the windows UF:

doesnot.png

as you can see, it treats a newline as a new event, and does not seem to recognise the sourcetype.

Is there any blatantly obvious thing that I've missed?  Any push in the right direction would be great!

Thank you and best regards,

Andrew

Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

m_pham
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

With structured data such as CSV/JSON, the data can be parsed on the Universal Forwarder (UF), so you would need the props.conf that usually goes on the indexers to be on the UF.

You say it's a CSV file but where are the header fields?

View solution in original post

m_pham
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

With structured data such as CSV/JSON, the data can be parsed on the Universal Forwarder (UF), so you would need the props.conf that usually goes on the indexers to be on the UF.

You say it's a CSV file but where are the header fields?

andrewtrobec
Motivator

@m_pham Moving props.conf to UF worked, thank you for the reply!  I thought props.conf should only be on indexer, so I guess the exception is for structured data.  As for the header, it's in the post above, first line.  I guess there are so many fields it just seems like an event...

0 Karma

m_pham
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's not widely known until you run into it and the Docs pages is scattered around at times.

You can read more about it here in the section below:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.5/Data/Extractfieldsfromfileswithstructureddata#Fie...

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, you have LINE_BREAKER set to ([\r\n]+).

Why shouldn't splunk break the line at LINE_BREAKER?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...