Getting Data In

Why does importing CSV files from a server directory using transforms.conf results in random month being inserted into event time?

greenwood1972
Explorer

I am monitoring a directory on the search head server that contains a group of CSV's that are being imported into Splunk. I have setup an app for this import type with inputs, props and transforms (code pasted below) and it works for 9,997 out 10,012 line items in an example CSV - yes the CSV does contain header fields that I have extracted, however the CSV header row is not consistent from file to file - the time field "Response Time" is however and is what I need the data to be time stamped on.

The issue I am running across is that a few events are not picking up the correct MONTH even though I have defined what field to extract the time from for the event. I cannot find any pattern or reason for the few odd ball events to be showing a different month than the "Response Time" defined in the transforms.conf file.

I might be missing something or have things turned around but at a loss of as now.

inputs.conf:

[monitor:///opt/data/web_marketauto]
index = scratch
sourcetype = acton:website:data

props.conf

[acton:website:data]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = csv
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
CHECK_FOR_HEADER = True
CATEGORY = Structured
DESCRIPTION = Website data from Act-On
PULLDOWN_TYPE = true
HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER = 1
TRANSFORMS-webfieldtransform = web_field_trans

transforms.conf

[web_field_trans]
TIME_FIELD = Response Time
TIME_FORMAT = %b %d &Y %H:%M %Z
DELIMS = ,

Screenshot of the indexed oddball event:

Screenshot of the indexed oddball event:

0 Karma
1 Solution

greenwood1972
Explorer

I reworked my .conf files and in doing so solved my issue (and a few others) - instead of letting Splunk define my fields and timestamp I am using TIME_PREFIX, REGEX, FIELDS, TRANSFORMS and REPORT to explicitly tell Splunk what to do. Everything works great now and it gives me more flexibility to define/rename new fields via REPORT if the header names ever change or new ones added in the future.

inputs.conf

[monitor:///opt/data/web_marketauto/...]
host = XX.XXX.XX.XXX
index = scratch
  • Monitoring a directory for all files
  • Defining host since the host is not included in the source files
  • Dumping to a test "scratch" index for testing
  • Defining sourcetype

props.conf

description = Website data from Act-On
KV_MODE = none
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TIME_PREFIX= ^[^\w]?^[^\d]+\,
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 25
TIME_FORMAT = %b %d %Y %I:%M %p %Z
TZ = MST
TRANSFORMS-t2 = delete_web_headers
REPORT-acton_website_fields = acton_website_fields
  • Sourcetype as defined in inputs.conf
  • Description of sourcetype
  • "KV_MODE = none" is forcing Splunk to not autogenerate fields that might over-ride my defined fields in transforms.conf
  • no line merging
  • no binary check
  • Defining where to find my timestamp that Splunk should used at index time
  • How far ahead to look for the end of the timestamp from the end of my regex
  • Defining the time stamp format in my source file
  • What time zone my source file was written from
  • Defining a index time TRANSFORMS that will eliminate the header row from my source file
  • Defining a search time REPORT that will define the fields to use

transforms.conf

[delete_web_headers]
REGEX = ^(Name\s\,.*)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[acton_website_fields]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = name,email,response_time,visited_page,ip_address,visitor_company,visitor_locations,referrer,search_engine,search_query,browser,event_name,event_start_date,user_type,first_name,last_name,email_address,registered,attended,duration,title,company,phone,address_1,address_2,city,state,post_code,country,company,job_title,business_phone,currently_use_splunk,company_splunk_use,upcoming_splunk_project,splunk_experience_level,topic,source_campaign,form,campaign,campaign_id,ip_address_2,browser_2,referrer_2,search,geo_company_name,geo_country_code,geo_country,geo_state,geo_city,geo_postal_code,page_url,email_3,description,lead_source,heard_about_gtri,email_4,middle_name,department,business_street,business_city,business_state,business_postal_code,business_country,business_fax,cell_phone,business_website,personal_website,account_name,full_name,mobile_phone,modified_on,ownder,parent_account,website,all_job_functions,linkedin_profile,twitter_profile,facebook_profile,gtri_splunk_services,additional_details,comments,address_id,splunk_experience,splunk_use_case

[delete_web_headers]

• REGEX that captures the first row in my source file
  • DEST_KEY tells Splunk to move the first row defined by the REGEX
  • FORMAT tells Splunk to dump the first row of data into null at index time
  • This eliminates capturing the first row from my source file

[acton_website_fields]

• DELIMS tells Splunk what the delimiterwill be when I define my fields
  • FIELDS are the manually assigned fields that I defined for every row of my source file(s)
  • This allows me a ton of options in order to normalize the field names atsearch time

I have gone a bit further in indexing other sources and defined individual fields on a row by row basis based on certain attributes of data in that row using multiple REPORTS - helps when groups of rows contain different fields.

Hopefully this helps someone out, hate it when solutions are not posted 😉

View solution in original post

greenwood1972
Explorer

I reworked my .conf files and in doing so solved my issue (and a few others) - instead of letting Splunk define my fields and timestamp I am using TIME_PREFIX, REGEX, FIELDS, TRANSFORMS and REPORT to explicitly tell Splunk what to do. Everything works great now and it gives me more flexibility to define/rename new fields via REPORT if the header names ever change or new ones added in the future.

inputs.conf

[monitor:///opt/data/web_marketauto/...]
host = XX.XXX.XX.XXX
index = scratch
  • Monitoring a directory for all files
  • Defining host since the host is not included in the source files
  • Dumping to a test "scratch" index for testing
  • Defining sourcetype

props.conf

description = Website data from Act-On
KV_MODE = none
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
TIME_PREFIX= ^[^\w]?^[^\d]+\,
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 25
TZ = MST
TRANSFORMS-t2 = delete_web_headers
REPORT-acton_website_fields = acton_website_fields
  • Sourcetype as defined in inputs.conf
  • Description of sourcetype
  • "KV_MODE = none" is forcing Splunk to not autogenerate fields that might over-ride my defined fields in transforms.conf
  • no line merging
  • no binary check
  • Defining where to find my timestamp that Splunk should used at index time
  • How far ahead to look for the end of the timestamp from the end of my regex
  • Defining the time stamp format in my source file
  • What time zone my source file was written from
  • Defining a index time TRANSFORMS that will eliminate the header row from my source file
  • Defining a search time REPORT that will define the fields to use

transforms.conf

[delete_web_headers]
REGEX = ^(Name\s\,.*)
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[acton_website_fields]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = name,email,response_time,visited_page,ip_address,visitor_company,visitor_locations,referrer,search_engine,search_query,browser,event_name,event_start_date,user_type,first_name,last_name,email_address,registered,attended,duration,title,company,phone,address_1,address_2,city,state,post_code,country,company,job_title,business_phone,currently_use_splunk,company_splunk_use,upcoming_splunk_project,splunk_experience_level,topic,source_campaign,form,campaign,campaign_id,ip_address_2,browser_2,referrer_2,search,geo_company_name,geo_country_code,geo_country,geo_state,geo_city,geo_postal_code,page_url,email_3,description,lead_source,heard_about_gtri,email_4,middle_name,department,business_street,business_city,business_state,business_postal_code,business_country,business_fax,cell_phone,business_website,personal_website,account_name,full_name,mobile_phone,modified_on,ownder,parent_account,website,all_job_functions,linkedin_profile,twitter_profile,facebook_profile,gtri_splunk_services,additional_details,comments,address_id,splunk_experience,splunk_use_case

[delete_web_headers]

• REGEX that captures the first row in my source file
  • DEST_KEY tells Splunk to move the first row defined by the REGEX
  • FORMAT tells Splunk to dump the first row of data into null at index time
  • This eliminates capturing the first row from my source file

[acton_website_fields]

• DELIMS tells Splunk what the delimiterwill be when I define my fields
  • FIELDS are the manually assigned fields that I defined for every row of my source file(s)
  • This allows me a ton of options in order to normalize the field names atsearch time

I have gone a bit further in indexing other sources and defined individual fields on a row by row basis based on certain attributes of data in that row using multiple REPORTS - helps when groups of rows contain different fields.

Hopefully this helps someone out, hate it when solutions are not posted 😉

greenwood1972
Explorer

Added some reference points in this image for time extraction issue

Added some reference points in this image for time extraction

0 Karma

nabeel652
Builder

From your data I can see Your timestamp should be like this

Dec 15 2016 8:12 AM MST

Maybe this is causing you problems

0 Karma

greenwood1972
Explorer

Thanks for the sanity check, implemented the time format change - missed the 24 to 12 hour strftime formatting in my original TIME_FORMAT but the problem still exists.

0 Karma

DalJeanis
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There's nothing incorrect I can see in that image.

It extracted Dec 15 2016 8:12 AM MST to Dec 15 2016 8:12 AM MST.

Is there a MONTH field, not shown, that is incorrect?

Or is there supposed to be a MONTH field that is missing?

0 Karma

greenwood1972
Explorer

if you look at the Time stamp outside of the event - 3/15/16 8:12.00 AM

Supposed to be 12/15/16 8:12.00 AM as viewed in the event itself.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...