Getting Data In

Why does excludeFromUpdate not work in serverclass.conf?

schose
Builder

Hi all,

I'm managing my apps deployed through forwarder management using git. When running a scheduled "git pull" the file, .git/FETCH_HEAD is always newly created.
When running a splunk reload deploy-server, the app is always sent out to the clients and Splunk will be restarted.

To avoid this, I'm trying to use the excludeFromUpdate introduced in Splunk v6.2 but neither

[serverClass:splunkdebug:app:myapp]
restartSplunkd = 1
stateOnClient = enabled
excludeFromUpdate=myapp/.git

nor

[default]
excludeFromUpdate=$app_root$/.git

seems to work.

Any hints?

Cheers,

Andreas

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What version are your deployment clients running? This particular setting requires both the deployment server and its deployment clients to be running Splunk Enterprise 6.2 or higher.

View solution in original post

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What version are your deployment clients running? This particular setting requires both the deployment server and its deployment clients to be running Splunk Enterprise 6.2 or higher.

schose
Builder

You're right. 🙂

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Oh good, let me convert my comment to an answer then.

0 Karma

schose
Builder

As hexx answered correctly you also need a v6.2 or higer client.

Workaround for everyone having the same issue with the older clients using git: it's save enough to delete the .git//FETCH_HEAD everytime after git pull.

Regards,

Andreas

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...