Getting Data In

Why can't Splunk_TA_windows redirect to a custom index?

rlaan
Path Finder

I have added the latest version of Splunk_TA_windows to my environment using a deployment server.

The app has been pushed to all windows machines, the search heads and the heavy forwarders.

I have only been receiving data into the "Main" index and be unsuccessful at redirecting the data to our preferred collection points index =  wineventlog.

on the deployment server i have created a  Splunk_TA_windows/local/inputs.conf file containing the following.

[WinEventLog://ForwardedEvents]
index = wineventlog
disabled = 0

[WinEventLog://Application]
index = wineventlog
disabled = 0

[WinEventLog://System]
index = wineventlog
disabled = 0

[XmlWinEventLog]
index = wineventlog

[WinEventLog]
index = wineventlog

I am primarily a linux guy for splunk admin and only have 1 windows host monitored at the moment (all windows events are forwarded to and collected from this node), is there something that needs to be done differently to redirect the index for this applications? Next consideration I have is using props/transforms to change the index although am worried about the hardware impact of that on 5 million events a day.

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

rlaan
Path Finder

Thank you everyone for all the help, realized the deployment was pushing successfully and after getting access to the servers. Noticed that the deployment server wasn't triggering restarts to apply the conf changes.

The issue ended up being a serverclass.conf configuration where an entry for restartSplunkd = true... was instead restartSplunkD = true

The capital D was halting and splunkd restarts on the windows machines so the new configurations were never applied.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

rlaan
Path Finder

Thank you everyone for all the help, realized the deployment was pushing successfully and after getting access to the servers. Noticed that the deployment server wasn't triggering restarts to apply the conf changes.

The issue ended up being a serverclass.conf configuration where an entry for restartSplunkd = true... was instead restartSplunkD = true

The capital D was halting and splunkd restarts on the windows machines so the new configurations were never applied.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rlaan,

good for you, see next time!

Ciao and happy splunking

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated by all the Contributors;-)

0 Karma

rlaan
Path Finder

Did some more testing, it appears the windows forwarder had a locally configured app 
SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\apps\SplunkUniversalForwarder\local\inputs.conf

Containing the following entry
[WinEventLog://ForwardedEvents]
checkpointInterval = 5
current_only = 0
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest

I had a windows admin remove the extra configuration in the above local app and added the same entry to the Splunk_TA_windows/local/inputs.conf on the deployment server and confirmed it was pushed to the windows forwarder.

This broke the data inputs, so now i am wondering why the Splunk_TA_windows app pushed via deployment server doesn't seem to be detected by the universal forwarder. While the locally added file in apps\SplunkUniversalForwarder\local\inputs.conf redirected the forwarded events. Anyone have an idea on what to check to get the deployment server managed applications to function on the forwarder?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It doesn't work that way. You can have a default settings in [default] stanza but you can't use general "input type" stanza.

So you need to either define a default setting or add index parameter to each individual input.

0 Karma

rlaan
Path Finder

How would i go about adding a "add index parameter to each individual input" I thought that was already what i was doing with the individual stanza such as 

[WinEventLog://Application]
index = wineventlog

I guess there is a gap in my understanding of how the monitors are defined on windows, i have tried adding index=wineventlog to all stanza present within the default/inputs.conf into my local version without any events being sent to the new index.

Many windows servers are sending data to the single universal forward before passing it into splunk, is this aggregation using window tools possibly an issue with how the indexes are defined? 

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

OMG, my bad. I didn't notice that you do have the index specified under each input as well. I suppose I noticed the entries in the "genre" stanzas and assumed you didn't put them there.

Did you check with btool what's your effective input conifg?

c:\program files\splunkuniversalforwarder\bin\splunk btool inputs list --debug

The installation path might of course differ, it might be c:\program files\splunk for older forwarder versions and if you installed it somewhere else completely, look for it there 😉

0 Karma

rlaan
Path Finder

if the default stanza is added would this cause all things sent to main to go to the new index (potentially from unrelated applications?) I am curious to potential environmental level effects as the application is deployed on the heavy forwarders and could effect all inputs.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Short answer - it could.

Long answer - it depends on how other inputs are defined. But the typical approach is to explicitly define destination index per input. This way you avoid such unexpected changes in behaviour.

BTW, remember that efective config depends on config files priority so such "default" setting could theoretically be overwritten by another default setting.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @rlaan,

id you deployed the TA-Windows modified as you said to all Windows Universal Forwarder, you should have events in the wineventlog index.

If not, you could also override index on Indexers or (when present) on Heavy Forwarders.

To override index you have to create a props.conf

[your_sourcetype1]
TRANSFORMS-index = overrideindex

[your_sourcetype2]

[your_sourcetype3]

and a transforms.conf

[overrideindex]
DEST_KEY =_MetaData:Index
REGEX = .
FORMAT = wineventlog

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...