Getting Data In

Why are wildcards not working when configuring the source path in inputs.conf?

danillopavan
Communicator

I am facing issues with using wildcards in my input.conf file.

I am monitoring the same directory where 2 different files are being generated, and each one should be indexed in different source types.

Path: C:\Splunkfiles\faturamentoSAP\
File 1: splunk.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS_1.CSV
File 2: splunk.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS_2.CSV

The file 1 should be indexed in sourcetype 1, and file 2 should be indexed in sourcetype 2.

I have configured both sourcepath in "Data inputs » Files & directories" like below, but it is not working:

C:\Splunkfiles\faturamentoSAP\*1.CSV
C:\Splunkfiles\faturamentoSAP\*2.CSV

If I configure as "C:\Splunkfiles\faturamentoSAP" , it is bringing both files to the same source type, but that is not what i want.

How do I configure the source path using wildcards?

Many thanks and regards.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

Hi @danillopavan,

If you have splunk server access in that case you can modify inputs.conf directly with below configuration.

[monitor://C:\\Splunkfiles\\faturamentoSAP\\]
whitelist = splunk\.\d{14}\_(?:1|2).csv

and props.conf as below

[source::C:\\Splunkfiles\\faturamentoSAP\\splunk.*1.csv]
sourcetype = sourcetype_1

[source::C:\\Splunkfiles\\faturamentoSAP\\splunk.*2.csv]
sourcetype = sourcetype_2

and then restart splunk service.

danillopavan
Communicator

Hello @harsmarvania57, thanks for your reply but in this moment i dont have backend server access.

Thanks and regards

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
Ultra Champion

In that case, could you please add 2 "Files & Directories", 1st with C:\\Splunkfiles\\faturamentoSAP\\splunk\.\d{14}\_1.csv and sourcetype sourcetype_1 & 2nd with C:\\Splunkfiles\\faturamentoSAP\\splunk\.\d{14}\_2.csv and sourcetype sourcetype_2

I had never tried using GUI but you can give it a try.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...