Getting Data In

Why are events ingested using the journald modular input truncated at 4088 bytes?

chris_barrett
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm pulling in events from the journal of a number of Linux hosts using the journald modular input.

I'm seeing truncated events every so often and, when I look at the length of _raw, I see that it's always 4088 bytes.

The man page for journalctl (https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journalctl.html) says that when events are outputted using JSON format, that "Fields larger than 4096 bytes are encoded as null values. (This may be turned off by passing --all, but be aware that this may allocate overly long JSON objects.)"

I'm presuming that that's what happening with the truncated events that I'm seeing.   Is anyone aware of a way around this?  I can't see any configuration setting associated with the journald modular input that would let me enable the '--all' flag.

FWIW, I'm running Splunk Enterprise 9.0.2

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...