Getting Data In

Why am I unable to start Splunk Universal Forwarder after installing on Isilon/Linux?

jasondillard74

Got the universal forwarder installed on my Isilon. (/opt/Splunk/splunkforwarder/)
Trying to follow the directions to start the service up but its not working. I'm not a Linux guy...

ktfs01-2# cd /opt/Splunk/splunkforwarder
ktfs01-2# ./splunk start
ELF binary type "0" not known.
zsh: exec format error: ./splunk
ktfs01-2# ls
btool                   bzip2                   copyright.txt           genSignedServerCert.sh  openssl                 scripts                 splunk                  splunkdj                srm
btprobe                 classify                genRootCA.sh            genWebCert.sh           pid_check.sh            setSplunkEnv            splunkd                 splunkmon
ktfs01-2#
0 Karma

Michael_Carlisl
Explorer

Interesting that your splunk executable is not in /opt/Splunk/splunkforwarder/bin. Do you have a bin in SPLUNKHOME?

0 Karma

jasondillard74

It is in bin actually.... sorry, accidentally left that part out of the path above.

0 Karma

Michael_Carlisl
Explorer

Ah Gotcha! I'm assuming you got the correct linux version for the forwarder? Once I ran tar xvzf on the .tgz file, I was able to run ./splunk commands.

0 Karma

jasondillard74

I don't know what the deal is... I downloaded the x64 version straight from Splunks site.
Here's a better rundown on my Putty. I renamed the file to splunk.tgz, then copied it to the /opt/Splunk/ folder via WinSCP. When I extracted it, It created the splunkforwarder folder and all underlying files/folders.

ktfs01-2# tar xvzf splunk.tgz
x splunkforwarder/
x splunkforwarder/etc/
x splunkforwarder/etc/deployment-apps/
x splunkforwarder/etc/deployment-apps/README............................etc.

ktfs01-2# cd /opt/Splunk/splunkforwarder/bin
ktfs01-2# ./splunk start
ELF binary type "0" not known.
zsh: exec format error: ./splunk
ktfs01-2#

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...