Getting Data In

Why am I getting "Splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely..." trying to upgrade to Splunk 6.2 on Windows 7 64 bit?

Afef
Communicator

I'm trying to upgrade splunk to the version 6.2 on windows 7 64 bits, it performed a "rollback action" during which I got the message : " splunk Enterprise setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified... "
when i write splunk status on CLI i got the message : "splunkd : unable to obtain status".
Any help please ?? Thanks

1 Solution

las
Contributor

Thanks, that corresponds with my own findings.

0 Karma

jdastmalchi_spl
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Bruch can you please provide the information I requested on the case to follow up.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Burch, not Bruch 😉

I send it about 5min ago so it should be going through the magic email systems now but let me know if you don't get it anytime soon. Thanks for the support!

0 Karma

Afef
Communicator

Burch, did you find a solution ?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Nope. Just that the workaround didn't work...around.

(Either your comment got moved from an Answer to a Comment, or I'm in the matrix about to have some Smith's on me...Déjà vu).

0 Karma

Afef
Communicator

My comment got moved from an answer to a comment because it's not an answer but it's a comment 😄 😄

0 Karma

Afef
Communicator

same here ! Does anyone find a solution ?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Same here, this is unrelated to whether the splunk services run or even exist when installing or upgrading.

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Conversely, I'm also experiencing the issue on fresh install (after uninstall) with no services pre-existing.

0 Karma

wpreston
Motivator

In my case, the splunkd and splunkweb services were both stopped prior to the upgrade, so this issue must be something else.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

German Windows here... that matches what Wim and I found out yesterday from digging through my verbose install logs, apparently there's an issue with setting permissions during install when the Administrators group has a localized name... Windows and localization is terribly messy. A hacky workaround requires rebuilding the installer yourself, so I'd recommend waiting for a patched version.

Afef
Communicator

I tried installing (not upgrading) splunk 6.2 on another windows 7 machine, but i still have the same problem !

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Quick survey for those experiencing problems: What language is your Windows set to?

0 Karma

lopessp

Portuguese

0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

Windows in Spanish with the same issue.

0 Karma

Afef
Communicator

My windows language is french !

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For completeness' sake, running a Trial license here.

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Also, quoting from the Deprecated features page:

Windows 7 and Windows 8 x86 & x86_64: Enterprise support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 x86 & x86_64 has been removed.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I see... that part seems to have worked in my upgrade install, but the splunk binary still reports 6.1.4 and hence doesn't listen on 8000. I guess I'll clean it out and make a fresh install, too murky to try and fix anything.

No, not an important Splunk instance 🙂

0 Karma

wcolgate_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Running splunk enable boot-start apparently recreates the services, and the splunkd service appears to be working. However, the splunkweb service kills itself right after starting with this entry in the Windows Application event logs:

The instance's SvcRun() method failed 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\win32\win32serviceutil.py", line 835, in SvcRun self.SvcDoRun()
  File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\SplunkWebService.py", line 39, in SvcDoRun
    from splunk.appserver.mrsparkle import root
  File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\appserver\mrsparkle\__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
    from lib.decorators import *
  File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\appserver\mrsparkle\lib\decorators.py", line 2, in <module>
    import cherrypy
ImportError: No module named cherrypy 
%2: %3

Apparently more than just the services is broken 😞

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...