Getting Data In

Why am I getting error "Cannot find item for POST arg_name=..." trying to update inputs.conf (scripted inputs) through setup.xml?

Vidd
Explorer

Hi,

I'm trying to update update a stanza within inputs.conf so I can change the cron schedule on a scripted input.

On the setup screen, it displays the value as expected. However, when submitting the page, I get the following error:

Encountered the following error while trying to update: In handler 'localapps': Cannot find item for POST arg_name="/data/inputs/script/%24SPLUNK_HOME%252Fetc%252Fapps%252F<my_app_name>%252Fbin%252F<script>.py/interval"

Looking at the splunkd.log, I found the following error:

08-16-2016 03:33:59.059 -0700 WARN  SetupAdminHandler - could not find matching input for POST arg_name=/data/inputs/script/%24SPLUNK_HOME%252Fetc%252Fapps%252F<my_app_name>%252Fbin%252F<script>.py/interval

For reference, here are excerpts from inputs.conf and setup.xml:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/<my_app_name>/bin/<script>.py]
passAuth = splunk-system-user
disabled = false
interval = 0 3 * * * 

<block title="Add-on settings"
     endpoint="data/inputs/script"
     entity="%24SPLUNK_HOME%252Fetc%252Fapps%252F<my_app_name>%252Fbin%252F<script>.py">
<input field="interval">
  <type>text</type>
</input>
</block>

This seems to match the example in documentation, so I'm not sure what to try. Any tips for debugging this?
I tried defining a custom endpoint, and while it could read the value, it couldn't update it.
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.2/AdvancedDev/SetupExample1

0 Karma

splunk_mkhan
Explorer

I am facing same issue, did you find any solution
Its working fine at linux machine but getting this error on windows

Encountered the following error while trying to update: In handler 'localapps': Cannot find item for POST arg_name="/admin/script/%24SPLUNK_HOME%5Cetc%5Capps%5Cmy_app%5Cbin%5Cmy_script.py%2015/enabled"

inputs.conf:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\my_app\bin\my_script.py 15]
 disabled = 0

setup.xml:

<block title="my script setting"
             endpoint="admin/script"
             entity="%24SPLUNK_HOME%5Cetc%5Capps%5CiSIGHTPartners_ThreatScape_App%5Cbin%5Cfetch_indicators.py%2015">
     <input field="enabled">
         <label>Enable</label>
         <type>bool</type>
     </input>
 </block>
0 Karma

hardikJsheth
Motivator

You need to update the entity as follows as per stanza in your inputs.conf

%24SPLUNK_HOME%252Fetc%252Fapps%252F<my_app_name>%252Fbin%252F%3Cscript%3E.py

Also verify that this REST endpoint is available under https://ip:managementport/servicesNS/nobody/

0 Karma

Vidd
Explorer

Ah, thanks but the script name was just a placeholder. It's correct in the actual app, I assume, since it loads the cron value from inputs.conf. I've checked and the script appears as an endpoint within the services list.

Thanks, though.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...