Getting Data In

Why am I getting Splunk installation failure in Windows 10 64 bit?

Selvam09

Hi

I have downloaded Splunk Enterprise 7.1.2 version and installed in my machine but I'm getting an error during installation.

Here I have attached information about my system and error wizard. Please let me know why I'm facing this problem? anything problem with my system Requirements need to modify anything?

System Information:
alt text

Error Wizard:
alt text

0 Karma
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@Selvam09, do you have Admin Rights on the system you are trying to install Splunk? Are you running the installation with "Run as administrator" option? Do you have any software running on your machine which may bring down privilege/elevated right?

To confirm can you run the command prompt as administrator and invoke Splunk Installation from command prompt running under admin mode?

Please refer to one of my older answer for the same: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/560682/failed-installationupgrade-of-splunk-enterprise-on.html

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ridwanahmed
Path Finder

An obvious thing to note:  if you are installing as a domain account, and not local user, make sure it's in the form of : 
`domain\userAccount`

0 Karma

miansalmantahir

I am having similar problem and running from command prompt didn't fix it for me

It says there is a problem with Windows Installer Package, A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. alt text

0 Karma

miansalmantahir

hi
I am having some sort of similar error, and running from command prompt didn't work for me.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@Selvam09, do you have Admin Rights on the system you are trying to install Splunk? Are you running the installation with "Run as administrator" option? Do you have any software running on your machine which may bring down privilege/elevated right?

To confirm can you run the command prompt as administrator and invoke Splunk Installation from command prompt running under admin mode?

Please refer to one of my older answer for the same: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/560682/failed-installationupgrade-of-splunk-enterprise-on.html

Puu
Explorer

Hey, I tried to install it through the command prompt as an admin but it still doesn't work.

0 Karma

Selvam09

Thank you @niketnilay I have installed from admin mode its installed now. under bin/ folder which file i want to execute to see the splunk admin console/dashboard?

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Run splunk start once you are in bin folder!

Selvam09

Hi @niketn while executing command I'm facing below problem, Any dependency missing?

I have python Version: Python 2.7.13

This appears to be your first time running this version of Splunk.
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\clilib\cli.py", line 17, in
import splunk.clilib.cli_common as comm
File "C:\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\splunk\clilib\cli_common.py", line 8, in
import httplib, shutil
File "C:\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\httplib.py", line 80, in
import mimetools
File "C:\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\mimetools.py", line 6, in
import tempfile
File "C:\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\tempfile.py", line 35, in
from random import Random as _Random
File "C:\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\random.py", line 49, in
import hashlib as _hashlib
File "C:\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\hashlib.py", line 138, in
_hashlib.openssl_md_meth_names)
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'openssl_md_meth_names'

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Latest version of Splunk Ships with Python 2.7.13, so in case you already Python installed there might be an issue because of that. Uninstall Python and Splunk. Clean up environment variables set by python if any. Finally re-installation of Splunk.

Also, in case you are not Admin, ensure that all such activities are carried out by an account with elevated rights. Even to Start/Stop Splunk service you might need elevated rights.

Selvam09

Hi @niketnilay I have followed above steps and installed successfully. I can able to see splunk web console.

Thank you very much for the guidance.

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There could be already splunk installed on the machine.

Check your installed softwares if its found installed. Please uninstall and reinstall with new version.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

Selvam09

I Have uninstalled splunk 7.1.2 version and restarted my System, Again Installed splunk 7.1.2 version in my system facing same issue .
I tried with splunk older version 6.x too, same problem repeatedly showing..Any problem with my system Requirements?

0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the msi file which you downloaded is 32 or 64 bit.

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...