Getting Data In

Which inputs.conf are the inputs stored in when added by web interface

denzelchung
Path Finder

I know that we can manually add data inputs through the inputs.conf file.
I added a file monitoring input via the web interface and wanted to see how it is written in the inputs.conf file. However, I opened the inputs.conf files and could not find any lines related to the file that I am monitoring. Which file is this input stored in?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Don't know from the top of my head, but you can certainly find out using btool:

From $SPLUNK_HOME/bin execute: ./splunk cmd btool inputs list --debug

Assuming you're running on linux, you can search for the relevant lookup by passing it through grep (replace 'foo' with something characteristic for the input you configured): ./splunk cmd btool inputs list --debug | grep foo

View solution in original post

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Don't know from the top of my head, but you can certainly find out using btool:

From $SPLUNK_HOME/bin execute: ./splunk cmd btool inputs list --debug

Assuming you're running on linux, you can search for the relevant lookup by passing it through grep (replace 'foo' with something characteristic for the input you configured): ./splunk cmd btool inputs list --debug | grep foo

denzelchung
Path Finder

I ran the btool command and it printed out inputs from every inputs.conf file but I do not see the one I added.

Under the web interface, I see it listed under Settings > Data Inputs > Files & Directories

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Click in the web browser in the URL address field, it will show something like:

http[s]://hostname:<port>/en-GB/app/YourAppNameHere/....`

you're inputs.conf would be in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/YourAppNameHere/local

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

denzelchung
Path Finder

Found it! I did not have admin rights to the local folder in the apps directory and so it didn't show up when I used the btool command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...