Getting Data In

Where to define sourcetypes with Splunk Cloud?

packland
Path Finder

I'm having issues ingesting data correctly as custom sourcetype defined in Splunk Cloud are completely ignored when set on our Heavy Forwarders. In the web interface of the Splunk Cloud cluster I've defined custom sourcetypes as directed in the docs

Specify source type for an input
You can assign the source type for data coming from a specific input, such as /var/log/. If you have Splunk Enterprise, you do this in Splunk Web or by editing the inputs.conf configuration file. If you have Splunk Cloud, use Splunk Web to define source types.

And then on a Universal forwarder I have a file monitor stanza (where matches the one defined in Splunk Cloud):

[monitor://path\to\file.txt]
index = test_index
sourcetype = <custom sourcetype name>

After ingesting, I checked the received events and it's as if the sourcetype configuration (which I tested successfully with the "add data" wizard) is being totally ignored and Splunk is still trying to automatically identify event breaks and timestamps.

Am I supposed to define the sourcetype somewhere else? It's not particularly clear from the docs. Here is a summary of the data pipeline in place

On prem windows UF > On prem Heavy Forwarder > Splunk Cloud

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Karma
1 Solution

dhihoriya_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @packland

As UF will not do any type of parsing activity it will just forward your data to HF in your data pipeline and HF will parse your data and then It will forward it to indexer for indexing so if you want to apply any of the extraction with source type then you can do it during index time or search time and in your data pipeline I think you can add it on HF so that it will apply the source type before indexing on indexer.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

dhihoriya_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @packland

As UF will not do any type of parsing activity it will just forward your data to HF in your data pipeline and HF will parse your data and then It will forward it to indexer for indexing so if you want to apply any of the extraction with source type then you can do it during index time or search time and in your data pipeline I think you can add it on HF so that it will apply the source type before indexing on indexer.

0 Karma

packland
Path Finder

Thanks for your answer, turns out the sourcetype stanzas also needed to be placed on the Heavy Forwarders. As soon as I did that and reindexed, the event boundaries started working properly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...