Getting Data In

Where to create an index in a clustered environment?

Prakash493
Communicator

Hi , i have a clustered environment
3 search heads and a cluster , in cluster i used to deployer apps
have 4 indexers and an indexer cluster master

i need to create an index but confuse where to create should i create it in indexer cluster master and push the bundle to other indexers if i do so is user able to search through search heads , or do i need to deploy it in search head deployer and push the updates ,

i am confused between these two.

0 Karma
1 Solution

codebuilder
Influencer

You'll want to define your indexes on the master at /opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf.

Then you can validate and push out the bundle to the indexers from the master with the following commands:

splunk validate cluster-bundle
splunk show cluster-bundle-status
splunk apply cluster-bundle

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!

View solution in original post

codebuilder
Influencer

You'll want to define your indexes on the master at /opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf.

Then you can validate and push out the bundle to the indexers from the master with the following commands:

splunk validate cluster-bundle
splunk show cluster-bundle-status
splunk apply cluster-bundle

----

euriska

Just a footnote, mine replicated and looked like they should be working until  I realized I spelled the filename indexs.conf  instead of indexes.conf

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

We had recently an interesting discussion about /opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf at How to create a new index?

0 Karma

Prakash493
Communicator

i have seen in my splunk environment all the indexes under at /opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/(app name)/local then indexes are their ,should i create here or this location opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf. , i am not seeing any indexes here ?

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

If you deploy indexes.conf via the master at /opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf then your indexes.conf on the peer nodes (indexers) will reside at /opt/splunk/etc/slave-apps/_cluster/local/indexes.conf.

In a clustered environment, I'm not a fan of deploying indexes.conf any other way, though it can be done (e.g. in a custom app).
If that app gets deleted, or you inadvertently deploy with the app directory missing, or wrong permissions, etc. then you're going to have problems.

The /opt/splunk/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/ is a special directory intended just for this purpose, and is documented as such:
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.4/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations

----
0 Karma

Prakash493
Communicator

Thanks but after that i dont need to do anything search head deployer , or when i search in search head it will come automatically right ?

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

The deployer is for pushing applications to your search head cluster.

The indexer master is for pushing indexes.conf to your indexer cluster (as well as other jobs it performs).

----
0 Karma

Prakash493
Communicator

Ok thank you ao much for info

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Glad to help!

----
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...