Getting Data In

Where do I edit props.conf in a cluster?

stevennoble
Explorer

If I'm using an index time props.conf setting (in this case SEDCMD) do I edit props.conf on the master or do I have to edit all of the indexers?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

jkerai
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can edit props.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/props.conf on master and push cluster-bundle with command 'splunk apply cluster-bundle'. Peers will restart and props.conf, in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/slave-apps/_cluster/local/props.conf, will be layered when splunkd start.

View solution in original post

vinit_masaun
Explorer

I have the same question but for a search head cluster. I have a custom json sourcetype that I need to handle in props.conf on the search head cluster members. I created an app folder under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/shcluster/apps/ on the deployer server called 'props_conf' under which I created another folder called 'local' where I placed my props.conf and deployed the bundle. However; the settings from the props.conf file are not taking affect. Did I do this right? I have a single server environment as well where I created a local props.conf file under $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local and that works as expected.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

So, on the search heads, does $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/props_conf/local look fine?

I would check $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk btool --app=props_conf props list on the search head and compare it with the single server's outout of the same command.

0 Karma

jkerai
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can edit props.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local/props.conf on master and push cluster-bundle with command 'splunk apply cluster-bundle'. Peers will restart and props.conf, in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/slave-apps/_cluster/local/props.conf, will be layered when splunkd start.

dishasaxena
Path Finder

The approach seems fine. For better understanding on updating common peer configuration, you can also refer documentation link(if you need to): http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Indexer/Updatepeerconfigurations.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...