Getting Data In

When forwarder's queue is maxed out, data [ monitor files or directories ] will get backed up. What is "backed up" ?

SamChang
Path Finder

Hi Guys ...

I get a question about input queue on forwarder ?

I found a document "Use persistent queues to help prevent data loss"

I see below description in that document.

By default, forwarders and indexers have an in-memory input queue of 500KB. If the input stream is running at a faster rate than the forwarder or indexer can process, to a point where the queue is maxed out, undesired consequences will occur. In the case of UDP, data will drop off the queue and get lost. For other input types, the application generating the data will get backed up.

I don't understant what is "backed up" ?

If my forwarder gets data from directories ...

"backed up", It mean ...

forwarder continually reads log form files and write log to local hard-disk, RIGHT ???

Please help me to get correct anwsers or documents, thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

By 'backed up' they mean the log for the application will fill, but Splunk will not read it. Splunk will remember where it left off, but when it starts reading the log file again there will be a backlog that needs to be read.

So long as the log is not deleted, over written, or rolled (if you're not monitoring rolled files), then you should not have a problem.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...