Getting Data In

What is the order of precedence transforms are applied within a single props.conf stanza?

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given a couple transforms.conf stanzas that both operate on the host field (index-time manipulation), reading from the host field and then in one case making a new field from part of the host field, and then in the other case modifying the host field, what order does the transforms get applied in?

1 Solution

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the process of writing this question I found the answer in the transforms.conf spec:

Use a comma-separated list to apply multiple transform stanzas to a single TRANSFORMS
  extraction. Splunk applies them in the list order. For example, this sequence ensures that
  the [yellow] transform stanza gets applied first, then [blue], and then [red]:
        [source::color_logs]
        TRANSFORMS-colorchange = yellow, blue, red

So in summary, the transforms application order is the order that you list them in the props configuration directive.

View solution in original post

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In the process of writing this question I found the answer in the transforms.conf spec:

Use a comma-separated list to apply multiple transform stanzas to a single TRANSFORMS
  extraction. Splunk applies them in the list order. For example, this sequence ensures that
  the [yellow] transform stanza gets applied first, then [blue], and then [red]:
        [source::color_logs]
        TRANSFORMS-colorchange = yellow, blue, red

So in summary, the transforms application order is the order that you list them in the props configuration directive.

tasqn

Small correction, that text is actually from the props.conf spec. Was little confused when I went to the transforms.conf spec and was unable to find it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...