Getting Data In

What is the easiest way to run a report that shows indexing / license usage per host?

sdorsey

What is the easiest way to run a report which shows how much indexing you are doing per host? Also.. and I know this is a hard and variable question.. how much do you typically expect from a Windows host?

I am eval'ing Splunk for a small client. I have the perimeter NGFW exporting its logs to Splunk, 1 exsi host doing syslog.. and 4 Windows servers (2 are DCs) setup with the universal forwarder to send app/system/security logs. The two DCs have AD monitoring enabled.

I hit 11gb usage by 10am. This seems on the extreme side to me but I could be wrong as I have never measured logging in this manner before. I have a GPO configured which does logging best practices (followed this pdf mostly: http://sniperforensicstoolkit.squarespace.com/storage/logging/Windows%20Logging%20Cheat%20Sheet%20v1... ).

0 Karma

svercelli
Path Finder

I would suggest you take a look at the Distributed Management Console in the settings menu of the Web Interface. It should give you the information you need as well as more information regarding license usage in your instances.

This way you don't need to rely on a report that may not be giving you exactly what you are looking for.

As far as expected usage I recommend this great website if you want to get estimates. https://splunk-sizing.appspot.com/

0 Karma

s_dparker

I'm pretty new at this but this is what I am using

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type=Usage | stats sum(eval(b/1024/1024/1024)) AS GB  by h | eval GB=round(GB,2) | rename h as Host | sort GB | addcoltotals label=Total labelfield=Total
0 Karma

Raghav2384
Motivator

Something like this :

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type="Usage" | eval h=if(len(h)=0 OR isnull(h),"(SQUASHED)",h) | eval s=if(len(s)=0 OR isnull(s),"(SQUASHED)",s) | eval idx=if(len(idx)=0 OR isnull(idx),"(UNKNOWN)",idx) | bin _time span=1d | stats sum(b) as b by _time, pool, s, st, h, idx   | timechart span=1d sum(b) AS volumeB by h fixedrange=false  | join type=outer _time [search index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type="RolloverSummary" earliest=-30d@d | eval _time=_time - 43200 | bin _time span=1d | stats latest(stacksz) AS "stack size" by _time] | fields - _timediff  | foreach * [eval <<FIELD>>=round('<<FIELD>>'/1024/1024/1024, 3)]

On your Splunk Instance, navigate to Settings>System>Licensing>Usage Report. This is built in to Splunk and would provide multiple slices of license usage. Hope this helps
Thanks,
Raghav
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...