Getting Data In

What is procedure to upgrade universal and heavy forwarders?

vrmandadi
Builder

Hello ,

We have around 13 heavy forwarders.How does the upgrade thing work , should we log into each instance and do the upgrade or is there any way to upgrade through the deployment server.The same way we have 500 + universal forwarders , what is the way to upgrade every U.F.

Thanks IN ADVANCE

0 Karma
1 Solution

masonmorales
Influencer

Splunk does not have a native feature for performing automatic/distributed upgrades of the software. We use Ansible internally to upgrade Splunk, but some customers use Chef, Salt, or Puppet to do it. For Windows, some customers use SCCM.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Vijeta
Influencer

@vrmandadi you should not use deployment server for performing Splunk upgrade. For the Heavy forwarders it will be just like any other Splunk Enterprise instance upgrade.
For Universal forwarders on Windows and Linux you can use deployment tool for Windows like SCCM or script for Linux.
This document will be helpful for you for upgrading UF remotely. Do check for pre-requisites and whether you really need an upgrade for UFs.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/7.3.1/Forwarder/UpgradetheWindowsuniversalforwarder
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/7.3.1/Forwarder/Upgradethenixuniversalforwarder

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Splunk does not have a native feature for performing automatic/distributed upgrades of the software. We use Ansible internally to upgrade Splunk, but some customers use Chef, Salt, or Puppet to do it. For Windows, some customers use SCCM.

0 Karma

pdantuuri0411
Explorer

Writing a script should be the most easy way to upgrade the forwarders. Splunk doesn't have an option to upgrade the forwarders automatically.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...