Getting Data In

What exactly do you mean by a provider in hunk?

sarnagar
Contributor

Hi ALL,

I was reading about HUNK on splunk.doc. They mention something about provider , ERP and configuration of this provider in indexes.conf....
Can someone please explain me what exactly is this provider??
Also How HUNK works using ERP??
Appreciate your help on this. Thankyou.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

jworthington_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yep, the provider is simply whoever is hosting your data. It could be Hadoop, or it could be something like s3 or NoSQL.

An ERP - External Results Provider - is a process. It's provided by Splunk (unless you write your own), It uses info you configure about the provider to communicate with and gather the result from the Provider (i.e., Hadoop). When you configure a Provider, you are technically configuring an ERP as well, because that's the info the ERP uses.

I think this naming convention is a little confusing, I'll see if I can make the docs a little more clear.

View solution in original post

jworthington_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yep, the provider is simply whoever is hosting your data. It could be Hadoop, or it could be something like s3 or NoSQL.

An ERP - External Results Provider - is a process. It's provided by Splunk (unless you write your own), It uses info you configure about the provider to communicate with and gather the result from the Provider (i.e., Hadoop). When you configure a Provider, you are technically configuring an ERP as well, because that's the info the ERP uses.

I think this naming convention is a little confusing, I'll see if I can make the docs a little more clear.

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi sarnagar, The provider concept seems to indicate an "external resource provider" for the virtual indexes. I.E. hadoop, but they've kept this open ended enough to imply that other providers are possible.

Please let me know if this helps!

Ledion_Bitincka
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Quick clarification ERP stands for "external results provider" - in Splunk the provider of results/events are the native indexes, in Hunk the results/events are provided by an external source, Hadoop, MongoDb, etc

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...