Getting Data In

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using scripted input vs file input ?

dheeran
Engager

I am having a scenario where a script can either produce a csv or a stdout.
Which is the best route to ingest this data?

The dataset in question is employee information where we do not expect a huge number of new records every day.

Thanks in advance
Siva

0 Karma
1 Solution

ivanreis
Builder

I would suggest to produce the csv instead of stdout. If you lose any network connectivity the data you are trying to run thought stdout can be lost, if you do not have any buffer to store this data.
According to the Splunk Administration manual, this is the only the downside of using scripting inputs.
"One possible downside to scripted input is potential loss of data
– Example: the forwarder that is running the script is not able to connect to the indexer due to networking problems".

View solution in original post

ivanreis
Builder

I would suggest to produce the csv instead of stdout. If you lose any network connectivity the data you are trying to run thought stdout can be lost, if you do not have any buffer to store this data.
According to the Splunk Administration manual, this is the only the downside of using scripting inputs.
"One possible downside to scripted input is potential loss of data
– Example: the forwarder that is running the script is not able to connect to the indexer due to networking problems".

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...