Getting Data In

Volume configuration will not manage space used by this index

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

We recently upgraded from 7.2.1 to 7.3.3 and from the _internal logs I can see that these new warnings are showing up across my indexer cluster. What is it saying and how do I go about fixing this? I've noticed that now I have an indexer just randomly lock up once a week. Any insight would be appreciated!

01-14-2020 00:58:27.994 +0000 WARN  ProcessTracker - (child_17__Fsck)  IndexConfig - idx=_introspection Path coldPath='/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/_introspection/colddb' (realpath '/mnt/local/hot/_introspection/colddb') is inside volume=primary (path='/mnt/local/hot', realpath='/mnt/local/hot'), but does not reference that volume.  Space used by coldPath will *not* be volume-mananged.  Please check indexes.conf for configuration errors.
01-14-2020 00:58:27.995 +0000 WARN  ProcessTracker - (child_17__Fsck)  IndexConfig - idx=_telemetry Path coldPath='/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/_telemetry/colddb' (realpath '/mnt/local/hot/_telemetry/colddb') is inside volume=primary (path='/mnt/local/hot', realpath='/mnt/local/hot'), but does not reference that volume.  Space used by coldPath will *not* be volume-mananged.  Please check indexes.conf for configuration errors.
01-14-2020 00:58:28.008 +0000 WARN  ProcessTracker - (child_17__Fsck)  IndexConfig - idx=firedalerts Path coldPath='/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/firedalerts/colddb' (realpath '/mnt/local/hot/firedalerts/colddb') is inside volume=primary (path='/mnt/local/hot', realpath='/mnt/local/hot'), but does not reference that volume.  Space used by coldPath will *not* be volume-mananged.  Please check indexes.conf for configuration errors.
01-14-2020 00:58:28.042 +0000 WARN  ProcessTracker - (child_17__Fsck)  IndexConfig - idx=wineventlog Path homePath='/opt/splunk/var/lib/splunk/wineventlog/db' (realpath '/mnt/local/hot/wineventlog/db') is inside volume=primary (path='/mnt/local/hot', realpath='/mnt/local/hot'), but does not reference that volume.  Space used by homePath will *not* be volume-mananged.  Please check indexes.conf for configuration errors.

indexes.conf

# global settings
[default]
lastChanceIndex = lastchance
malformedEventIndex = malformedevent

[volume:primary]
path = /mnt/local/hot
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 14000000

[volume:cold]
path = /mnt/local/cold
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 58200000

[volume:_splunk_summaries]
path = /mnt/local/hot
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 1000000

homePath = volume:primary/$_index_name/db
coldPath = volume:cold/$_index_name/colddb
thawedPath = /mnt/local/cold/$_index_name/thaweddb
homePath.maxDataSizeMB = 2000000
maxWarmDBCount = 250
maxDataSize = auto
enableDataIntegrityControl = true
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 188697600

[main]
homePath = volume:primary/defaultdb/db
coldPath = volume:cold/defaultdb/colddb
coldToFrozenDir = /mnt/local/cold/frozen/defaultdb
thawedPath = /mnt/local/cold/defaultdb/thaweddb
maxDataSize = auto_high_volume
frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 31536000
0 Karma

chris_barrett
Communicator

Lines 18-25 of the indexes.conf file above look like they're missing a stanza heading. Are they meant to be part of the [default] stanza? If so, try moving them up to under line 4.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...