Getting Data In

Using monitor on a Universal Forwarder

nce054
Path Finder

I'm trying to set up my Universal Forwarder to monitor a local folder. The folder path is H:\MonitorTest , and I have placed multiple text files in there to manipulate and see if the changes are recorded in my Search-Head. However, after putting the following code in $SPLUNK_HOME\etc\system\local\inputs.conf, I still am not seeing any new data on my Search-Head. Am I doing something incorrectly? I know this is a very basic question, as I am new to Splunk. Thanks for any help!

[monitor://C:\..\H:\MonitorTest]
disabled = 0
index = main
Tags (1)
0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Looks like you are missing sourcetype. Also, I'm not sure why you have C:\ in there. I think your stanza should be something like:

[monitor://H:\MonitorTest\]
disabled = 0
index = main
sourcetype = test

Then, restart the Splunk forwarder and see if it picks up your test files.

0 Karma

nce054
Path Finder

I tried this, and no luck still. I have the index of 'main' enabled on my Search-Head, so I know that's not the issue.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

I am assuming you have two boxes, one with a UF, the other acting as an Indexer+SH. Is that correct?

If so, what happens if you search:

index=_internal *test*

Does anything show up? Any errors? If not, you may want to check network connectivity between the UF and Indexer/SH. You can do that using the telnet command, or by searching for TcpOutput in splunkd.log on the UF.

If you can post your outputs.conf that might be helpful too.

0 Karma

nce054
Path Finder

Yes, I have one UF, two Indexers, and one Search-Head, all dedicated instances. I know they are linked up correctly because I am already receiving Windows Event log entries, such as System, Security, and Application.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

I think we need a diag from your UF to troubleshoot this further. If you can send me an e-mail (click my username to see it), I'll send you a login for my FTP server and we'll go from there.

0 Karma

nce054
Path Finder

I actually can't see it, all I see is your LinkedIn account, among other things.

0 Karma

masonmorales
Influencer

Sorry, refresh it. 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...