Getting Data In

Using a Python script to call an API

bazcurtis178
Explorer

Hi,

I am trying to use the Sophos Central API. It uses a Python script to download the data into a file. I have successfully run this on my Mac, but I am not sure where to start in Splunk. I thought I would drop the script in $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/scripts, but the script is not seen.

I assume Splunk will then look at the downloaded file and index it?

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Karma

bazcurtis178
Explorer

Thanks Damien. I will take a look at this on Friday.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

I have underlined where you enter 1) URL 2) HTTP Header propertys 3) URL parameters

alt text

0 Karma

bazcurtis178
Explorer

I have finally got back to this. Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the help.

I assumed that I would paste in the Header API key or API Access URL + Headers into the setup page, but I am not seeing a place for that. The URL is obvious, but where do the API tokens go? With only two to choose from I thought it would be simple?

Any other pointers would be most welcome.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Having a quick look at the docs , https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/125169/ and the example script , https://github.com/sophos/Sophos-Central-SIEM-Integration

It would be very easy to use the REST API Modular Input and setup an input with Sophos URL , Auth headers, Checkpointing etc.. as detailed in the docs and skip the need to save a downloaded file to disk and rather just stream this data directly in to Splunk.

0 Karma

bazcurtis178
Explorer

Thanks for the replies. I will take a look at that and confirm the answer once tested. I like the look of the Rest API. I was hoping to get the data straight in to Splunk rather than download the file and get the data from there.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That’s exactly what the rest api modular input would do. Same for a scripted input writing to stdout.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check out inputs.conf section regarding scripted inputs.

The scripted input indexes whatever is coming to stdout.

If your script downloads data to a file, perhaps a slight modification would make it print the data to stdout.

Another option is making the script run as a cron job and then using splunk inputs.conf monitor stanza to monitor the location that the script is putting data files into.

0 Karma

bazcurtis178
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. My first issue is getting the script to run. How do I get the script add to at least run once?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This link does a pretty good job of explaining it:

https://sublimerobots.com/2017/01/simple-splunk-scripted-input-example/

The inputs.conf tells splunk to execute the script based on whatever interval you provide.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...