Getting Data In

Using Splunk Universal Forwarder and scripted input to scrape JSON and write to a metrics index

thehowler

I've got a HTTP API that produces a JSON payload of metrics. The payload is formatted in a way that also works for POSTing (via cURL) to a Splunk HEC and ultimately getting inserted into a "metrics"-style index. An example of the payload:

{
    "event": "metric",
    "time": 1618573805075,
    "host": "myhostname",
    "fields": {
        "metric_name:ok.count": 1,
        "metric_name:error.count": 2
        "product_version": "1.2.3",
        "now_unix": 1618573805075052,
        "product_name": "my cool app"
    }
}

This works well and I can query the data using

| mpreview index="my_index_name"

I'm trying to setup Splunk Universal Forwarder and using Scripted Input to cURL this endpoint and send it to the Splunk Indexer over port 9997 as per normal. I can see that the metrics endpoint is being "hit" by SUF, but I can't see any data in Splunk.

I have my Splunk-side props.conf as :

[my_json_metrics_via_suf]
INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = json
KV_MODE = none

My SUF inputs.conf:

[script:///opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/bin/my_curl_script.sh]
interval = 5
index = my_index_name
sourcetype = my_json_metrics_via_suf
disabled = false

Does anyone know what config I'm missing? I can see the data arriving at the Splunk server via `tcpdump`

Labels (3)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...