Getting Data In

Use of collectd for machine metrics

brent_weaver
Builder

I just started to tinker with collectd to get metrics into splunk. Alothough easy to get data in, it seems to be VERY verbose. Is there a guide that I can refer to that will being me to a cleaner config? By cleaner I mean more direct information, like cumulitive CPU etc...

Also when writing to HEC I get [ ] around each JSON event making it a bit more manual to parse the events.

Any other thoughts, experiences, other ideas are welcome!

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi brent_weaver,

try this https://www.splunk.com/pdfs/ebooks/a-beginners-guide-to-collectd.pdf maybe it contains some useful information.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

brent_weaver
Builder

Thank you for the response and I have seen that. Do you know why there is a leading [ and a trailing ] on every event? It is supposed to be JSON output but it actually isn't valid. I have to:

index=main | rex "[(?P.*)]" | spath input=json

to get this to parse correctly. I am able to easily get logs into Splunk just need to know how to remove the ^[ and the ]$.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...