Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder inputs.conf perfmon stanza : Why counters with "-" in their name are not selectable?

jbcharvetmatric
Explorer

Initial case (working) :

In an UF add to an inputs.conf (depending of if your using an app, creating local conf or default one, etc.)

[perfmon://< any performance monitoring input>]
counters = *
< others parameters tested and correctly set>

=> All counters are forwarded.

Objective : I want to select a list of counters to limit my Splunk license usage, and to forward & index only the required ones.

Failed cases :

Counters selection fails when counters name contains "-" , worse : no counters are forwarded and/or indexed

=> No counters is forwarded.

counters = * #Host Queue - Instance State Msg Refs - Length;Host Queue - Length;Host Queue - Number of Instances;Host Queue - Suspended Msgs - Length

OR

counters = Host Queue - Instance State Msg Refs - Length;Host Queue - Length;Host Queue - Number of Instances;Host Queue - Suspended Msgs - Length

OR

counters = Host Queue \- Instance State Msg Refs \- Length;Host Queue \- Length;Host Queue \- Number of Instances;Host Queue \- Suspended Msgs \- Length

OR

counters = "Host Queue \- Instance State Msg Refs \- Length";"Host Queue \- Length";"Host Queue \- Number of Instances";"Host Queue \- Suspended Msgs \- Length"

OR

counters = "Host Queue - Instance State Msg Refs - Length";"Host Queue - Length";"Host Queue - Number of Instances";"Host Queue - Suspended Msgs - Length"

OR

counters = \"Host Queue \- Instance State Msg Refs \- Length\";\"Host Queue \- Length\";\"Host Queue \- Number of Instances\";\"Host Queue \- Suspended Msgs \- Length\"

EDIT : Add examples

If the names of the listened app counters I want were

"Host Queue Instance State Msg Refs Length;Host Queue Length;Host Queue Number of Instances;Host Queue Suspended Msgs Length"

instead of

"Host Queue - Instance State Msg Refs - Length;Host Queue - Length;Host Queue - Number of Instances;Host Queue - Suspended Msgs - Length"

The listed counters will be forwarded without any issue.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

how do you set / pick your counters?
how do you determine the counter name?

this works for me just fine:

[perfmon://CPU]
counters = % Processor Time;% User Time;Interrupts/sec;% Idle Time
object = Processor
instances = 
disabled = 0
interval = 30
useEnglishOnly = true
index = perfmon

[perfmon://System]
counters = Processor Queue Length; Threads
object = System
instances = *
disabled = 0
interval = 30
useEnglishOnly = true
index = perfmon

[perfmon://LogicalDisk]
counters = % Free Space; Disk Transfers/sec; Disk Reads/sec; Disk Writes/sec
object = LogicalDisk
instances = *
disabled = 0
interval = 30
useEnglishOnly = true
index = perfmon
0 Karma

jbcharvetmatric
Explorer

Thanks for the answer!

how do you set / pick your counters?

I've tried to select them as listed in "Failed cases" : with ";" to separate them. and tryed to play with "/" escape char to solve the issue with "-" char in counters names.

how do you determine the counter name? :

There names are provided by the tool I'm listening. I have manually double-check the counters names with the windows performance monitor (performance monitor/add counter/select the app I'm listening with the UF) and the tool documentation.

this works for me just fine:

It works because there is no "-" in the counter name.

• Example 1 : if the name of the system counter " Processor Queue Length" were " Processor - Queue - Length" and you were trying to select it in counters list, you'll have the same issue than me 😉

• Example 2 : if the names of the listened app counters I want were

"Host Queue Instance State Msg Refs Length;Host Queue Length;Host Queue Number of Instances;Host Queue Suspended Msgs Length"

instead of

"Host Queue - Instance State Msg Refs - Length;Host Queue - Length;Host Queue - Number of Instances;Host Queue - Suspended Msgs - Length"

My case will be working fine!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...