Getting Data In

Universal Forwarder 6.0 and 6.0.1 - Install to collect Remote Windows Data

dbylertbg
Path Finder

When running splunkforwarder-6.0.1-189883-x64-release.msi or splunkforwarder-6.0-182611-x64-release.msi and choosing to collect "Remote Windows Data", I get an error message: "Please re-launch the installer as an Administrator. This is required to configure the installation for remote data collection."

Steps to reproduce:

1. Download splunkforwarder-6.0.1-189883-x64-release.msi or splunkforwarder-6.0-182611-x64-release.msi
  2. Launch splunkforwarder-6.0.1-189883-x64-release.msi or splunkforwarder-6.0-182611-x64-release.msi.
  3. Accept all defaults or enter appropriate values for 'Destination Folder', 'Specify a Deployment Server', 'Specify Receiving Indexer' pages.
  4. For the 'Let us test the credentials before continuing' page, select the "Remote Windows Data" option.
  5. Click 'Next' and fill out the fields as appropriate. Click 'Next' and you will get the error message "Please re-launch the installer as an Administrator. This is required to configure the installation for remote data collection."

I have tested this on Windows Server 2012 as well as Windows 7 Pro. On the Windows Server 2012 server I was logged in as a domain administrator. On the windows 7 Pro computer I was logged in as a local administrator. Either way I always get this error message and cannot install either of the 6.0 releases of the universal forwarder set to collect 'remote windows data'.

Any ideas?

0 Karma

rmsit
Communicator

I having similar issues installing the 6.0.1 universal forwarder for Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit. The install process hangs, doesn't even matter which options you select. The prior version (6.0) did not have this issue.

0 Karma

jrhoops
Engager

I launched an elevated command prompt and then launched the msi from that command prompt to get around this issue. I was unable to right-click run as administrator directly on the msi from the gui.

dbylertbg
Path Finder

Looks like this is the fix. I'll contact the docs team to get them to make a note in the docs about this.

0 Karma

dbylertbg
Path Finder

Turned of UAC, attempted installation: got the same error message.

0 Karma

antlefebvre
Communicator

Is UAC enabled? Try turning it off if it is.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...