Getting Data In

Unable to start Splunk on Windows after upgrading - "Splunkd: Unable to start the service: The specified service does not exist as an installed service."

phadnett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We recently updated from Windows Server 2008 SP2 to 2008 R2 SP1 so we could upgrade from Splunk version 6.0 to 6.4. Now we are unable to start Splunk and we notice that the application isn't in the list of services.msc.

Starting splunk server daemon (splunkd)...

Splunkd: Unable to start the service: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
E:\Program Files\Splunk\bin>
0 Karma
1 Solution

phadnett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I suggest that you manually install the Splunk service by running the following command from the /bin directory: splunk enable boot-start

You may have tried to upgrade Splunk with a user account that has does not have administrative privileges.

View solution in original post

phadnett_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I suggest that you manually install the Splunk service by running the following command from the /bin directory: splunk enable boot-start

You may have tried to upgrade Splunk with a user account that has does not have administrative privileges.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...