Getting Data In

Unable to move index database to another drive in Windows Server 2019

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Hey Guys! I am very new to Splunk Enterprise and it's still in testing phase. I am trying to use this documentation https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.1/Indexer/MoveAnIndex to move my database to another drive. However, when trying "D:> cacls D:\new\path\for\index /T /E /G :F" command in Windows Server 2019 cmd, I get an error saying "The system cannot find the file specified". I am not sure why does it say that. I have created the new folder in D:\ drive and using the correct path. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You!

0 Karma
1 Solution

jhornsby_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @rahulkumarfgf,

Unfortunately I don't have a VM around to test, but I'm guessing that Microsoft finally removed cacls.exe from Windows Server as of 2019. Therefore you'll need to use the icacls.exe command instead. E.g.:
icacls D:\new\path\for\index /t /c /grant "<the user Splunk Enterprise runs as>:(OI)(CI)(F)"

Cheers,

- Jo.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

jhornsby_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @rahulkumarfgf,

Unfortunately I don't have a VM around to test, but I'm guessing that Microsoft finally removed cacls.exe from Windows Server as of 2019. Therefore you'll need to use the icacls.exe command instead. E.g.:
icacls D:\new\path\for\index /t /c /grant "<the user Splunk Enterprise runs as>:(OI)(CI)(F)"

Cheers,

- Jo.

0 Karma

rahulkumarfgf
Explorer

Thanks! I did try "icacls" but got the same error. I gave permission to the user from "Properties" Section and as of now, I was able to copy the index database. I created a new index and that shows up in the new drive as well. Hopefully, it works. Will update if anything changes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...