Getting Data In

Unable to Collect SMBServer/Audit logs

CJHindmarsh
Explorer

I have been unable to get the universal forwarders to correctly collect the SMB Server audit logs. The inputs.conf file on the deployment server has the following stanza configured but there are no logs flowing in. The other events in the inputs file work without any issues. 

## Application and Services Logs - SMB Server Audit Log
[WinEventLog://Microsoft-Windows-SMBServer/Audit]
index = wineventlog
disabled = 0
start_from = oldest
current_only = 0

Thanks 

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

CJHindmarsh
Explorer

Yep, the above stanza is correct. I was just impatient I think. The next morning I had pretty much all the logs available to search.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

adobrzeniecki
Path Finder

Is that the correct path of where those logs are actually located? Also, you are going to want to make sure that Splunk is able to capture from that location. Might want to check permissions on the windows event log configuration.

km1986
Path Finder

Hey, were you able to get this working?

0 Karma

CJHindmarsh
Explorer

Yep, the above stanza is correct. I was just impatient I think. The next morning I had pretty much all the logs available to search.

0 Karma

adobrzeniecki
Path Finder

What sourcetype did your data come in with? Did you have to create the sourcetype?

CJHindmarsh
Explorer

I was at the time utilizing the Splunk add on for Windows. It came with some predefined sourcetypes for Win Event logs.

0 Karma

km1986
Path Finder

I was able to fix it. It was permissions on Windows Event Logs. Used https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004063808-Using-wevtutil-to-check-Event-Log-permis... as reference to correct the channel access string for Microsoft-Windows-SMBServer/Audit. Thanks for the suggestion.

km1986
Path Finder

Was splunkd running as SYSTEM or as a domain account? I tried both, restarted Splunk services and the DS, but while other Event IDs are coming as expected the Event ID 3000 (SMBServer Audit) logs are not coming in. Now that it is certain the path is correct, I'm thinking if it something related to permissions.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...