Getting Data In

Ubuntu Desktop version install - .deb fails to install

dxw350
Path Finder

I have tried Splunk Install on both VMware and Virtualbox Ubuntu Desktop version so I can use the graphical install interface. IN ALL CASES it does not work. In addition, the Splunk video introduction to the install doesn't load either on any operating system. If there is someone from Splunk that could address these issues it would be helpful since many of us don't want to use the CLI. Thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Speaking from experience, regardless of the package manager you are using, there's always going to be a need to use the terminal in nix environments. I understand the appeal of point and click, and drag and drop, but if that's what you want then you should use windows. If you're just trying to learn how to use Linux because "that's what we run Splunk on at work" then you're not doing yourself any favors by learning to install Splunk in the ubuntu UI. The odds of any enterprise Linux installs having a UI like xfce, kde, etc are slim to none and all Splunk admins have to / should know how to use the CLI.

That being said, here is the official documentation on how to install Splunk on Linux:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/Installation/InstallonLinux

It uses the CLI

View solution in original post

dxw350
Path Finder

Thank you fornall the posts. The issue was definitely the Ubuntu installer. I worked the .deb with the CLI just fine. It was recommended in the documentation that the splunk install not be put in root, but some of the add-ons prefer it, i.e homemonitor. If not in root I needed to change syslog port 514 to a highorder port number. Interesting details

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

So, for the sake of completeness, and because this post inspired me to update an old ubuntu laptop I had laying around, here is how I installed via pkg mgr on 17.04. Look ma! No terminal!

After downloading the .deb package from Splunk.com, I battled the built in Ubuntu software installer, but when launching the .deb in software installer, the install button would come up, but clicking it did nothing. Which led me to this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/908113/software-installer-does-not-work

Which, much like jkat advised, literally has ppl telling the users to just use the cli. Wanting to prove the GUI way could be done, chose to install gdebi and try.

Gdebi worked like charm to install the package.

Unfortunately for the GUI lovers out there, once the package is installed, going to the cli to chown the /opt/splunk then start the program was required. There was no app shortcut like we have on mac, and Splunk doesn't show up in ubuntu under apps.

I'm sure there may have been a GUI like way to achieve the ownership change and launching of Splunk, but...you know...the cli.

I think we have sufficiently realized why CLI will always be there...heck, even on windows and mac, admin via the CLI is the way to go.

Anyways, thought I'd share considering i burned two nights in the lab futzing with this damn laptop 😉

- MattyMo
0 Karma

nnmiller
Contributor

mmodestino, I think you typo'd there...

I think we have sufficiently realized why CLI will always be there...heck, even on windows and mac, admin via the gui is the way to go.

Don't you mean 'admin via the CLI is the way to go'? 😉

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yup! updated!

- MattyMo
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Speaking from experience, regardless of the package manager you are using, there's always going to be a need to use the terminal in nix environments. I understand the appeal of point and click, and drag and drop, but if that's what you want then you should use windows. If you're just trying to learn how to use Linux because "that's what we run Splunk on at work" then you're not doing yourself any favors by learning to install Splunk in the ubuntu UI. The odds of any enterprise Linux installs having a UI like xfce, kde, etc are slim to none and all Splunk admins have to / should know how to use the CLI.

That being said, here is the official documentation on how to install Splunk on Linux:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.6.2/Installation/InstallonLinux

It uses the CLI

dxw350
Path Finder

Thanks. I used the CLInand it worked. It was definitely the Ubuntu package installer that was the problem. Not Splunk

dxw350
Path Finder

Jkat, I understand your reasoning, but doesn't that than defeat the purpose of having a Splunk .deb version???? We can all just use tar. I appreciate your feedback on this and I will resort to the CLI, although Linux GUI will soon become very common.

0 Karma

nnmiller
Contributor

The NIX UI will never be common on *servers for many reasons, most important of which is security. In addition it adds a ridiculous level of dependencies which have the potential to make the system unstable when patching (you do, patch right? see "most important" point), increase resource consumption, add configuration management work, etc.

Source: 15+ years as a systems admin.

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Never said you had to use the tarball. You should use dpkg with the deb.

dpkg -i /path/to/file.deb
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Don't hold your breath on the whole Linux UI thing... it's been "coming" for decades now and I still don't know a nix shop that uses any form of UI in production.

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

if you want nix with a gui, get a mac 😉

At least this has given me an excuse to update my ubuntu desktop machine. 14.04 >> 17.04 HERE I COME!!!

Will report back my experience trying gui based package install. What can I say, I love a challenge.

- MattyMo

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Still can't do much without knowing which package manager was installed... there are
Several which could have been selected during the install routine.

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

hi dxw350!

what graphical install are you referring to? what steps are you following? I have a Ubuntu desktop I can try and replicate on..

- MattyMo
0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You're going to have to help us help you... what version of ubuntu? Which .deb Splunk file? 64 bit or 32 bit? Any error messages? What steps are you taking to actually install it? Just double mashing the deb, using your favorite package manager ui, or what?

Be as specific as possible if you want someone to replicate the issue and be able to help you.

0 Karma

dxw350
Path Finder

Here is the details.

1. I downloaded the latest Splunk .deb 64-bit on the latest Ubuntu desktop 64-bit version 17.04.
  2. I first tried on the latest VMware with all memory requirements and sizing needed for Ubuntu 2048M memory and 10G storage. Once installed I loaded the Splunk .deb on the virtual Ubuntu through Firefox
  3. Afer successful download I tried to doubleclick "install" and it stayed in a frozen state "calculating". Note this also was the same result in the latest version of Virtualbox

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Which package manager did you install with ubuntu?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...