Getting Data In

UF windows upgrade does not upgrade original UF if installed in non-default directory

elusive
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Last year I manually installed the Windows Universal Forwarder Version 4.2.3 on Windows servers in D:/Program Files/SplunkUniversalForwarder, NOT in C:/Program Files/SplunkUniversalForwarder. The install was a simple manual GUI-based install.
Now, I am upgrading the Windows Universal Forwarder from Version 4.2.3 to 4.3.1.
It's a manual GUI-based install using the splunkforwarder-4.3.1-119532-x86-release.msi file.
When I click on the splunkforwarder-4.3.1-119532-x86-release.msi file, it correctly detects that Windows Universal Forwarder Version 4.2.3 is installed, and gives me the option to upgrade.
I click on the Install button to do the upgrade, and instead of upgrading D:/Program Files/SplunkUniversalForwarder, the install program "upgrades" C:/Program Files/SplunkUniversalForwarder which is not the correct location of my 4.2.3 install. Can you please fix this bug so that the upgrade process upgrades my D drive installation instead of incorrectly "upgrading" my non-existent C drive installation? Thank you.

0 Karma

elusive
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

bug SPL-49824 is logged. As a workaround you can upgrade using commandline

for example:
msiexec.exe /i splunkforwarder-4.3.1-119532-x64-release.msi AGREETOLICENSE=Yes INSTALLDIR="D:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder" /quiet

this should upgrade your 4.2.3 UF to 4.3.1 in d:\Program files\SplunkUniversalForwarder.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...