Getting Data In

Tutorial data upload error

becksyboy
Communicator

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Splunk and currently undergoing some training. Within my home lab I have a Splunk instance installed and am trying to upload the tutorial data. When i select the .zip file it says "uploading file" and is at 100%. After 10 mins i get an upload Error stating there was a read timeout?

Any ideas why i can't upload the .zip file?

thanks

gyslainlatsa
Motivator
0 Karma

piebob
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I downvoted this post because the person didn't ask how to upload the file, he reported an error when he did.

0 Karma

dkeck
Influencer

Hello beckysboy,

maybe thats to simple but why don´t you unzip the data first?. Advantage would be that you have a preview, which is not supported for .zip files.

You may want to have a look at the splunk logs. Maybe that will give you more information about the error.

You can find them in $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log

Kind Regards

0 Karma

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I downvoted this post because you should not unzip the tutorialdata file. splunk uncompresses the zip file when the file is uploaded. also, as i mentioned in my reply below, try moving the zip file to the root directory, such as c:\, and then upload the file into splunk.

0 Karma

becksyboy
Communicator

Thanks, that was my next step, I was following the instructions for the tutorial data, where it stated not to unzip, but ill unzip them first instead.

0 Karma

lstewart_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Also, please ensure that the file is in a directory that does not have spaces in the file path.
Try moving the tutorialdata.zip file to your desktop or to c:\, then attempt the upload again.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...