Getting Data In

Trying to set up a distributed management console on the master node of my indexer cluster, why am I getting "duplicate instance name"?

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi Splunkers!

I'm about to set up a Distributed Management Console on my Master node of my indexer cluster.
Unfortunately, after I did every step in the manual, the master shows a "duplicate instance name" as I try to apply the settings.

And this is in fact true.
The two indexers that are clustered have an instance (serverName) and a Machine name of their own.
BUT the Instance (host) field has the name of the cluster master node.

(it's similar to this question https://answers.splunk.com/answers/188595/splunk-62-cluster-message-duplicate-instance-name.html?utm...)

THE PROBLEM IS:
I've checked the /splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf and server.conf on every indexer peer and they all have their own individual host or servername.

The only thing I don't know about is the config I found in the /default directory which says

[default]
host = $decideOnStartup
1 Solution

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Solved it myself.

I applyed a cluster-bundle with a
[default]
host = nameofthemasternode
in the inputs.conf

This was the cause of the error! 🙂

View solution in original post

horsefez
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Solved it myself.

I applyed a cluster-bundle with a
[default]
host = nameofthemasternode
in the inputs.conf

This was the cause of the error! 🙂

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...