Getting Data In

Troubleshooting Universal Forwarder on Linux

paul_hignutt
Engager

When I try to add my indexer to the configuration of my linux box where I have installed the universal forwarder, it errors on authentication.

This is on Splunk 5.0, and the Splunk server (indexer) is actually a VM on the linux box where I have installed the universal forwarder. I know that I have not entered the username and password incorrectly. I've tried splunk'ing for errors of failed logins within my deployment and come up with nothing.

I've done a tcpdump packet capture on the splunk server and I don't see any packets coming into the server. So I'm pretty sure my forwarder isn't working at all. I have verified connectivity and done a TCP PING to port 9997 and I DO see traffic get to the splunk server and back on that port.

This is what I get from the forwarder script:

# /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add forward-server 172.20.227.211:9997 -auth admin:password
Login failed
Login failed
Unauthorized

Ideas on where I can start looking? I use linux every day as a workstation, so I'm more than familiar although I wouldn't consider myself a *nix ninja. I've followed the directions here:
forwarder install instructions

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Gilberto_Castil
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You should use

admin:changeme

View solution in original post

Gilberto_Castil
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You should use

admin:changeme
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...