Getting Data In

Tricky parsing requirement

ssledzie

Say I fed a file into splunk that had a date field at the top.

Then after that, one event per line that contained a time offset from the aforementioned date field. Any way I could make splunk assign a timestamp from date+time offset to the event?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

I'm gonna venture an educated guess - No, you cannot perform math on index time extractions.

However, you can math in a search. Once you get it the way you want it, you can create a macro so it can be called easily.

ssledzie

I'll check the doc thanks. In either case, the format would be something like:

DATE: 02/24/2014 11:00:00

In the above example 0,5, and 10 are offsets from the date header.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Have you read this doc? http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.1/Data/HowSplunkextractstimestamps
According to that doc, if you can configure props.conf to recognize the 'date field' as an event of the same sourcetype, and pull the date as a date time, then all subsequent events would default to that 'date time' because the subsequent events of that same sourcetype do not have a valid 'date time'.

It is tough without seeing the data or log file structure.

0 Karma

ssledzie

That's fine. I'm willing to do that calculation at search time. But I still need the all the data on the event to do that.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

You'd still have to do math in order to add the start date and the offset. The timestamp processor doesn't have that kind of functionality.

0 Karma

ssledzie

What if I didn't do any math but appended the start date to every event? Is that possible?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...