Getting Data In

To import csv files, do we need a heavy forwarder or can we just use a universal forwarder?

sreis
Loves-to-Learn Everything

Hi,

To import csv files do we need a heavy forwarder or can we just use a universal forwarder? I tried  a universal forwarder(with no Transforms.conf or props.conf) on one machine and work and now i tried in another machine and doesnt work( error:Bug during applyPendingMetadata, header processor does not own the indexed extractions confs.). I´m new in splunk can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The number of differences between the two machines makes troubleshooting challenging.  Let's start by trying to ingest the same file on both. (BTW, applic.csv is not a CSV file so it will need custom props.)  If it still doesn't work then use the same version of the UF on both machines.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

sreis

Hi,

Why you say is not csv? if try to open with excel for example the fields are separeted.

If i have to user props i need a Heavy Forwarder?

Thanks.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's not a CSV because the Values are not Separated by Commas.  Excel can separate cells many ways so try opening the file with Notepad++.

You can continue to use a UF with custom props, just put the props on the indexer(s).

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you can ingest CSV files using a universal forwarder.

Please say more about "it doesn't work" and tell us the difference(s) between the two machines.

---
0 Karma

sreis

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

One machine as win2019 Datacenter with UF 8.0.2, the other that doesn t work as UF 8.2.3 and Windows 2016 Server. 

I just use Win2019 to test , create a file:

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\teste3.csv]
index = idx
sourcetype = csv
disabled = 0

file teste3.csv:

name,user,
john,xpo1
peter,xpo2

win2019:

[monitor://C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\applic.csv]
index = idx
sourcetype = csv
disabled = 0

file applic.csv(with just the header, file is given by an application)

Type Short Name      Date Number   Average Daily 

Get  the error: Bug during applyPendingMetadata, header processor does not own the indexed extractions confs.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...