Getting Data In

Timestamp configuration for different sourcetypes of the same source

alextsui
Path Finder

Hi, I have used props.conf and transforms.conf to configure two different sourcetypes coming to Splunk from udp:514. And when I tried to set timestamp extraction for these two sourcetypes I can't get it to work. Anything I overlooked? Thanks.

Splunk 4.1.4 installed on CentOS 5.2 32bit

props.conf -

[source::udp:514]
TRANSFORMS-UDP514Sourcetyping = SLB_AlteonOS,Juniper_VPN

[SLB_AlteonOS]
TIME_PREFIX = \w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s+\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+\s+
TIME_FORMAT = %b %d %H:%M:%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 49
priority = 101

[Juniper_VPN]
TIME_PREFIX = Juniper:\s+
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 62
priority = 101

transforms.conf -

[SLB_AlteonOS]
REGEX = ^\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s+\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+\s+\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s+([\w\d-]+\s)?\w+\s+AlteonOS\s+
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::SLB_AlteonOS

[Juniper_VPN]
REGEX = ^\w+\s+\d+\s+\d+:\d+:\d+\s+10\.10\.8\.2\s
DEST_KEY = MetaData:Sourcetype
FORMAT = sourcetype::Juniper_VPN
0 Karma
1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can't configure timestamp extraction based on extracted sourcetype because timestamp extraction precedes regex-based transformation in the index-time parsing sequence. Your best bet here is to configure the timestamp extraction based on the host IP address for the devices. Specifically, replace [SLB_AlteonOS] with [host::<device_ip>], and likewise for Juniper_VPN.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can't configure timestamp extraction based on extracted sourcetype because timestamp extraction precedes regex-based transformation in the index-time parsing sequence. Your best bet here is to configure the timestamp extraction based on the host IP address for the devices. Specifically, replace [SLB_AlteonOS] with [host::<device_ip>], and likewise for Juniper_VPN.

0 Karma

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The flow of index time processing is configured in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/modules/parsing/config.xml (but don't be tempted to change it as bad things could happen).

The general order is:

1. UTF8 decoding
  2. Line breaking
  3. Header processing (parsing intermediate configuration directives).
  4. Date parsing and line merging.
  5. Regex replacement.
  6. Addition of punct::.
0 Karma

alextsui
Path Finder

Thanks. Is there a diagram or a list that describes the sequence of index-time in general?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...